Sunday, May 29, 2016

AVR Weekly News ~ 146th Edition

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by 
Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. 
~ Recap the past week ~ 
~ Show what's upcoming ~ 
~ Share news ~ 
~ Display book hauls ~

<<< Flip Back


Page Forward >>>

  • Tuesday ~ Review ~ Moby Dick by Herman Melville and Will Eisner (graphic novel)
  • Wednesday ~ Post ~ #BookishResolutions Progress Report ~ May
  • Thursday ~ NetGalley Review
  • Saturday ~ My 2016 June InD'tale Magazine Reviews
  • Sunday ~ AVR Weekly News ~ 147th Edition

--- AVR News Update ---
Hello and Happy Sunday!


Tomorrow is Memorial Day. 
We will be remembering all of our fallen Veterans who have given their all while serving.

On the Home Front: Lots of running around doing errands and carting kids to app'ts which meant real clothes and contact with the general population.*flails* Also finally replaced the muffler on the car, so the neighbors are probably relieved and can put away their pitchforks. Found out the van has a potentially expensive oil leak. The problem is that car engine engineers don't have to work on the shit they design so there's no way to see exactly where the leak is coming from. It could be one of three things, two of which are expensive so I can automatically rule out the cheaper problem simply by way of how my life is. In addition, the A/C is kaput. Since the passenger window hasn't worked in like 4 years this hot weather is really sucking when we have to take the van anywhere. But hey! Quiet car again, so YAY!

In other news, only 9 days left of school! Woot! I can sleep in on mornings my hubby doesn't have to work and go back to bed on the days he does. Well, that's if there are no app'ts for that day. And no one is graduating this year, so no hoopla for that. Trip will graduate next year and Kyle in 2018. Plus, if Trip goes into the Marine Corps like he's saying he will we'll have his boot camp graduation to attend. But that's future shit that I can put aside for now. :D

Touching Nature: I mowed. That was more than enough heavy breathing and hot & sweaty touching than I wanted or needed.

Book News: I did not get those reviews finished last weekend, but I did get 5 of them finished yesterday. I have to add a graphic novel, so I actually have 3 to go. Currently 17 books behind on my challenge. Whatever. I still need to draft up some posts. Should get those done this week. I need to read all the Sandman graphic novels that I picked up from the library since they must go back soon because several are interlibrary. I'll probably sit down Tuesday and read them all.

Don't Touch That Dial!: Managed to sneak in two episodes of Supernatural. Whew! I was having major withdrawals. Gotta have my Sam & Dean, Cas & Crowley fix.

At the Flicks: Nada

Cyberspace Playground:  Random find on YouTube when I was looking for something else. I love me some Charlie!

Randomness: Vocabulary. Yes, it's important.

Carol's Nuggets of Wisdom: If you need to run errands in a busy area try to do them so you right turn in and right turn out. Unless there are lights that can help facilitate traffic movement. Don't be the dumbass trying to turn left at rush hour.

That's it for me. AVR News Update signing off. May all your books enthrall you.
∞ Shelf Additions ∞
From the library
They came in! Yay!



For Review



For Review
Many thanks to Red Adept Publishing




Freebies
I may or may not have done some one-clicking while avoiding review writing. 
Free at time of drafting.
Stop, look, click. 












28 comments:

  1. Car stuff sucks... hope the reviews go well and you get some reading time this weekend. Lol about the left turn drivers... I always wonder about those people when you're in traffic and you know there's no way they're getting out anytime soon. Turning right and then turning around might be faster people... :)

    I like that cover of The Mind readers, will have to go take a look. Have a great Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does. I really hate this van. 2 more years and we can get rid of it, but for now our budget is stretched too thin for a car payment or even a loan payment for a used couple thousand $$ vehicle.

      I always wonder about that, too! Go right and turn around if you must. I have no paience to sit there forever. lol

      Delete
  2. Oh man, I's fix your window for you if you were closer, it probably just needs a new motor. Blah, but that sucks about the leek even more. Car problems just plain suck in general. Good luck! Have a great week! Enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've replaced motors on power windows before, so we may attempt the Monatana ourselves. We watched a YouTube video and it just looks like more of a PITA than the others were which is why we haven't attempted it for these past years. Plus, we had A/C so it wasn't really an issue. lol

      Delete
  3. Ugh, car problems sucks. My husband has one of those cars that has had a lot of big things wrong with it, like the internal computer going down while we were driving. Fun that was. I hope it turns out not to be the expensive one with your oil leak. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours is a 2000 and it's pretty much been a piece of shit since we bought it. Grrrr! I'm doing extensive research when we finally get rid of it and get a truck. I do not want another lemon.

      Delete
  4. Yikes, those car problems sound terrible. But oooh that Masks books sounds great, thanks for pointing that one out! And getting five reviews done doesn't sound bad at all :-)

    As for your nugget of wisdom, for two of the different grocery stores I go to, I have to do this whole loop around thing when I leave the parking lot by turning right onto the street I really need to go left on, then going in a square until I get back to the street but where there's actually a light with a turn lane lol. It's definitely worth it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Car problems suck the big one. And not in a good way. lol

      My husband's rule is, as long as you're moving it works. lol

      Delete
  5. It sucks to have car-problems!! I'm wondering if I'll do some kind of mechanics class once I finish my MA and my teacher's certificate. I would really like to be able to repair some stuff myself. I hope the leek is the cheap version, and that you'll get it fixed very easily.
    Your new books all look great! Enjoy.
    Have a wonderful week ahead and happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband took automotive tech at college many years ago and my 1st husband was a mechanic (I picked up a lot from him), so between us we can do quite a bit and have done so in the past. If we had a garage we could probably even do big engine work. It might take awhile, but we could do it. lol I highly recommend everyone taking classes on how to do basic maintenance and fixes. In fact I think kids should have mandatory "life lessons" classes (cooking, laundry, auto, banking, etc) before they graduate high school. We've taught our kids what we can, but so many out there don't know even the basics of what they need to know to journey through life.

      Delete
  6. It sounds as if you've been busy and I'm glad your muffler is sorted.

    And - most importantly - roll on school holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how nice it is to have a quiet car again. It's been loud and getting worse for about a year. LOL

      Yes! Woot! :D

      Delete
  7. I hate it when the car gets ill:(. We are currently on half term break, so I a week without lessons or admin - our schools don't break up until the 3rd week in July, so we have a bit longer to go.I LOVE the cover of Kingsteel - though I notice it is the 3rd book in the series. Have a great week with the quieter car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our van is a lemon. Plain and simple. Grrr! Enjoy your break! :)

      Delete
  8. Car stuff sucks!!! Crossing all my fingers for you that it's the easy fix. We were informed that our car has a bent rim (not even sure how that happened) so we are currently saving to fix that and get new tires....again! The tires aren't even 2 years old but because of the rim, one of them is already ruined. Oh well....not much I can do about it now. Hope you have a great week <3
    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hitting a curb or pothole can bend a rim. Having a car is a lot of maintenance isn't it? But what would we do without them? :)

      Delete
  9. Enjoy your new books! I haven't read any of them, but I'm curious about Death By Diploma.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to Death by Diploma. Red Adept puts out some great books!

      Delete
  10. I'm sorry about your car! Up until a few years ago the air conditioner would break during the hottest part of summer! So, hopefully it doesn't happen this year! Hope that you get a lot read, and have a good week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cars are definitely an expensive, and sometimes exasperating, essential especially for those of us who don't live where there's public transportation. *fingers crossed* your A/C stays cool.

      Delete
  11. People trying to turn left at really busy times drive me insane - especially when there's no turn lane and they're just clogging up the road. There's usually a way around it that would take all of 1 minute but nobody actually seems to do so. Okay rant over! Yay for no graduations! We had two - one for high school and one for kindergarten which probably required more action on my part than the high school one. The one who graduated from high school has enlisted and we are thinking leaves for Boot Camp in July but the Marine Corps has yet to give an exact date which drives me mildly crazy. So sorry about the car troubles! No fun and I totally get what you mean about the engineers not having to fix it. My husband's A/C on his truck is weak and yet we can't find anything wrong with it. And he IS an engineer (space not cars though). Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh Rah for the Marines! My husband and oldest son are Marines, now out. My son enlisted at the start of his Sr year in high school and didn't leave for boot camp until a week after his birthday in July. He then graduated at the beginning of Oct.

      Vehicles are so exasperating! >:(

      Delete
  12. Sounds like you have the same kind of luck we have with cars. Mom use to say if it wasn't for bad luck we would have no luck at all...lol. You got a lot of great looking books this week, enjoy!

    Stormi
    Week in Review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's totally us! We *are* Murphy's Law. *sigh* I think I went a little crazy on the books, but what the hell, right? lol

      Delete
  13. Cars suck, My new car has been in to the garage four times since I got it in October. I think they make them too bleeding fancy with to many extra things to go wrong.

    Have a great week and enjoy your new reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do suck. Especially ours. No wonder Pontiac went out of business. They suck big ones. My husband says: "The more crap you have on it the more there is to go wrong." Yep. I like having power windows, but hate having to change the motor. Do they even make the old manual handles for the windows any more?! lol

      Delete
  14. Car problems suck but luckily my husband is a mechanic. He is able to get the parts at cost from work so we save a lot of money. The car problems always come up at the worse time so I hope everything works out. My daughter graduated from high school and it was a lot of work getting ready. But it's over and I have 5 years until my youngest graduates. I can relax for now lol. The weather has been really hot here too so hopefully it will cool down for both of us. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amyone who works as a mechanic, heating and cooling or computers in any way are guaranteed to never have to worry about job security. lol My husband and I aren't too shabby when it comes to minor repairs, but bigger jobs we can't do simply because we don't have a garage to keep the vehicle out of the weather while we tear it down. Should have upped the mortgage and added a garage when we bought our house. *sigh* Hindsight is 20/20.

      Delete