Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Hark! The Herald Angels Scream

Book source ~ NetGalley
23 October 2018
Anthology | Horror | Holiday
384 Pages


My Rating ~ 3 bites and a nibble

I have to admit I like the combination of Christmas and Horror. What? I’m not weird, you are. Anyway, this 18 story anthology is as tightly wrapped as an unwilling kidnap victim. While I occasionally enjoy a good holiday horror, I’ve found that the genre as a whole is hit or miss with me. The same goes with this collection. Nearly all of the authors are new-to-me, so if I go by my reaction to several of these stories then I probably won’t be checking out the rest of their work. But I may change my mind. Miracles can happen. I’ve put an * next to the titles I really like.

Absinthe & Angels ~ Kelley Armstrong ~ Trippy

Christmas in Barcelona* ~ Scott Smith ~ Unexpected

Fresh as the New-Fallen Snow ~ Seanan McGuire ~ Meh

Love Me ~ Thomas E. Sniegoski ~ Creepy as fuck.

Not Just for Christmas ~ Sarah Lotz ~ Wtf did I just read?

Tenets ~ Josh Malerman ~ Blah

Good Deeds ~ Jeff Strand ~ Meh

It’s a Wonderful Knife* ~ Christopher Golden ~  Oooohhh!

Mistletoe and Holly ~ James A. Moore ~ Whoa. Harsh

Snake’s Tail ~ Sarah Langan ~ I don’t get it.

The Second Floor of the Christmas Hotel* ~ Joe Lansdale ~ Like!

Farrow Street ~ Elizabeth Hand ~ Boring and confusing

Doctor Velocity ~ Jonathan Maberry ~ Very meh

Yankee Swap* ~ John M. McIlveen ~ Sorta Saw-like?

Honor Thy Mother* ~ Angela Slatter ~ Nice!

Home* ~ Tim Lebbon ~ Whoa

Hiking Through ~ Michael Koryta ~ Meh

The Hangman’s Bride* ~ Sarah Pinborough ~ This might be my favorite.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you reviewed these! I have this and will be reading it this weekend. It'll be fun to see how I feel about these too.

    ReplyDelete