Monday, December 17, 2018

Colonies Lost

Book source ~ ARC.
My review is voluntary and honest.
12 June 2018
Sci-fi | Mystery
314 Pages


My Rating ~ 4 bites and a nibble

US Marshal Hank “Trip” Hackett III has just been suspended for a bullshit reason and Trip is fed up with the entire system. Leaving Durham, he heads home to Kitty Hawk to help his family and decide what to do next because he’s sure as shit not going to have a job soon. No sooner is he settled in when a mysterious Mr. Smith shows up offering a very lucrative job finding a missing girl. Not in a position to be picky, Trip takes it. He has no idea how much his life is going to change with this one simple decision.

First off, the main character is born in NC and is called Trip because he’s the III. My son was born in NC and called Trip for the same reason which tickled me, but not so much my son. He likes having a special nickname that isn’t all that common. LOL

This is an easy-to-read story that will have you flipping the pages as fast as possible to see what will happen next. It starts out as a type of police procedural and you think, ok Trip’s going to investigate, get a lead on this missing girl, run across bad guys and be in danger, but will succeed in the end. And that’s what happens. The difference is in the execution of all these things. This suspenseful action adventure takes a sharp left turn into sci-fi territory and, trust me when I say, it works. I love how one of our greatest mysteries, the Lost Colony of Roanoke, is woven into the story. I’m damn impressed with how well it all comes together. Great story, wonderful writing, and colorful characters make this one of my favorite reads of the year.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm -- I don't know if this one would be a good fit for me, but I'll keep it in mind! It's funny when books have correlations to our real life (like the Trip nickname), and I think that's why I love reading books with twins (we have twins). It's just fun to see the similarities and differences.

    Check out my 2018 End of the Year Giveaway! Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete