Sunday, September 1, 2019

AVR Weekly News ~ 307th Edition

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by 
Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer. 
~ Recap the past week ~ 
~ Show what's upcoming ~ 
~ Share news ~ 
~ Display book hauls ~

<<< Flip Back

  • Sunday ~ Meme ~ AVR Weekly News ~ 306th Edition
  • Monday ~ Review Close Liaisons by Anna Zaires
  • Wednesday ~ Review ~ Lord Grey's List by Maggie Robinson
  • Friday ~ Kindle ReviewFair Isle and Fortunes by Nancy Warren

Page Forward >>>

  • Tuesday ~ Tour ~ A Different Time by Michael K. Hill
  • Thursday ~ Review ~ How to Lose a Demon in 10 Days by Saranna DeWylde
  • Saturday ~ Review ~ Dead Ringer by Mary Burton 
  • Sunday ~ MemeAVR Weekly News ~ 308th Edition

--- AVR News Update ---
Hello and Happy Sunday!
Good riddance, August.


On the Home Front: So, last Sunday I hoped to share good news, that things would be getting back to normal. A new normal, but normal all the same. Well, things are still up in the air. A bit. But I will share a little bit about the gigundous curveball that was thrown at us. Toward the end of July my husband made a critical observation to newish upper management about how they were treating another member of the team. New guy (we'll call him asshole #1) got instantly pissed off. Hubby said you could literally see it in his face. So, a bit later that same day hubby was called into asshole #1's (now to be shortened to AH1) office. AH1 called in asshole #2 (AH2) who then told hubby that he should mind his own business (regarding said treatment of other team member and upper managements' decisions) and they were rethinking his position as a TLA (minor management) and even his position at the company. Now my husband is instantly pissed because they are threatening his job over one single comment he made. Not to mention, they had this meeting without a representative there for my husband. No, they are not union (we wish). This is supposed to be standard company policy yet AH1 & AH2 gave it the middle finger.

Btw, my husband's company is a world-wide huge corporation who says they pride themselves on integrity. However, over the last few years upper management (which has been in constant disorganized flux for several years) has been running this particular plant into the ground. They have created such a toxic work environment that long-time employees (20+yrs) are fleeing as if a tsunami was headed straight for it. My husband hit his 25-yr mark with the company in March. He has had perfect attendance all but 1 year (the year his mom died). He has had great performance reviews each year (no one EVER gets outstanding, so great is the best anyone can get). However, after his comment, all of a sudden he's getting hit with disciplinary actions. One after another after another after another, etc, etc. He was able to have several of them dismissed. Because my husband documents everything. I mean everything. Then, in only 2 weeks after his ire-inducing comment, he was terminated from his job with more bullshit actions and AH1 & AH2 did not give my husband a chance to refute them. Hubby knew they were targeting him, but figured they'd at least make a token effort at following company policy. Nope. And, instead of forcing him to take retirement, they tossed it all out the window and him with it with a huge fuckyouverymuch, go clean out your locker, and don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.  

My husband is our only source of income. So now, we're not only outraged over his treatment, but terrified of not having an income or insurance especially since he provided insurance for our 3 kids still living at home (ages 21, 20, 18). And not knowing what to do with his 401k. I probably don't need to state how incredibly stressful this month has been. We consulted attorneys only to discover NC is an at-will state and unless we could prove discrimination of any kind we were fucked on a civil front. However, we are pursuing things from other angles, some of which I hoped to share this weekend but don't have an answer to just yet.

My husband applied to many jobs, but there just weren't many bites. After 9 long days (I know that's not a long time, but it's an eternity when you are literally freaking out) he did get hired at a place completely different than he's ever worked. It's still a management position of which he has beaucoup experience in though. I will not share that job just yet as things are still a bit up in the air with it (he's not sure it will work out long term, but it's promising). Our insurance was current until yesterday and the new job insurance doesn't kick in for 90 days, so I spent some time shopping around and finally got a good plan set up Friday to tide us over. Whew! Who knew AARP would come in handy so soon after turning 50? I take back everything I said about it when I was younger.

So, there you have it. August sucked ass big time. I hate it. I'm glad it's over. Now, if September can bring us some good news on a few fronts then maybe we can get started on a newer new normal. If that makes any sense. In any case, he is happy to be out from under that horribly toxic environment. He misses the good paychecks, the insurance plan, and some of the people, but not the place. Which is sad because the company was once a wonderful place to work and the workers' families felt like they belonged, too. They used to actually care about the employees. Listened to complaints, made improvements, never had to work holidays, had family day in the summer, and a Christmas party. They had the Easter Bunny and an egg hunt for the kids and Santa (with presents!) came every year for them, too. All of those perks are long gone. It's a shame and too bad for them. Time to move on to a new phase in our lives.

Touching Nature: It's been so nice! Well, mornings were gorgeous. Days got a little toasty but not horribly so. Hubby fixed my mower yesterday, so I'll be mowing today.

Book News: I was caught up on reviews and that lasted about 3 hrs. Now I have 1 to write.

Don't Touch That Dial!: We finished Psych. I have to say, that last season was a huge disappointment. I think hubby and I will start Dexter next. The boys and I finished season 4 of  our Star Wars: The Clone Wars rewatch. And we've been watching the Cleveland Indians.

At the Flicks: None

Cyberspace Playground: None

Randomness: 

Carol's Nuggets of Wisdom: I'm currently all out of wisdom nuggets. I'm exhausted, but I've lost 12 lbs from stress. So, yay?

That's it for me. AVR News Update signing off. May all your books enthrall you.
∞ Shelf Additions ∞
From the library
Nothing this week.


For Review
Many thanks to The Write Reads Tours



Freebies
Now you know why I've been stress clicking.
Free at time of drafting.
Gaze twice, click once.




8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about your husband! This should never happen but sadly is more common than what we think! Good thing he found something again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry, Carol. What a stressful month! It makes me so mad when good employees get treated this way. I'm glad your husband was able to find another job and you were able to get insurance coverage for the interim. I hope things work out better for you all in the long term. Give yourselves some TLC this week and month; you deserve it! Even if it's just a little extra time to read or walk in the park, or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Carol, I am so sorry. I can imagine how stressed you've been. I worked at a company that turned toxic, and I've been unemployed. Both are hard, to say the least. I have my fingers that everything works out for you and your husband.

    I second Lark's suggestion of doing something nice for yourself. You, and your family, deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awful for you all! I can completely understand why you were so stressed. Just shows how valuable your husband is though that he found a new position in 9 days! He should take pride in that. Onward and upwards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'm so sorry that August was so stressful, and I hope it all works out for you guys in the end. I can't imagine how difficult the whole situation must be!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am terribly sorry August was so horrible. Life is full of change and I'm glad he found something relatively quickly. The world is topsy turvy these days. I wish there was more kindness and less greed out there. I wish the weather would be a little less toasty! Just a little more cooling down will make the yard work easier, maybe 5 degrees. Yes I need to mow again and I still have figured out the trimmer.

    Have a lovely week and enjoy the new normal!

    Anne - Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post   

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my. That is insane. I sure hope that this will all turn out for the better. I miss when corporate cared for their dedicated employees. Its usually just the small employers nowadays. Smart management needs to recognize the employees are the companies front line.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m so sorry about all that stress Carole, though it’s great news that your husband has found work again so quickly.

    Have a great reading week

    ReplyDelete