Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Ordeal by Innocence


Recovering from amnesia, Dr. Arthur Calgary discovers that he alone could have provided an alibi in a scandalous murder trial. It ended in the conviction of Jacko Argyle. The victim was Jacko's own mother, and to make matters worse, he died in prison. But the young man's innocence means that someone else killed the Argyle matriarch, and would certainly kill again to remain in the shadows. 

Shaded in the moral ambiguity of murder, the provocative psychological puzzler of guilt, vengeance, and blood secrets is among Agatha Christie's personal favorites.

Book source ~ Purchased
Mystery | Classic
3 November 1958

My Rating ~ 4 bites and a nibble



I bought this for an online book club read and I waited too long to write the review. I recall some details, but most of it is hazy in my memory. I do remember that I was having difficulty figuring out who the killer was and every time I thought I had it correct, I was proven wrong. Gah! The mark of a great mystery and Agatha Christie is notable as one of, if not THE, best at twisting and turning her victims, I mean, readers, around.



No comments:

Post a Comment