Thursday, July 6, 2023

Spider's Bite


My name is Gin Blanco. They call me the Spider—the most feared assassin in the South (and a part-time cook at the Pork Pit BBQ joint.) As a Stone elemental, I can hear the whispers of the gravel beneath my feet and feel the vibrations of the soaring mountains above me, though I don’t use my powers on the job unless I absolutely have to. Call it professional pride.

After a ruthless Air elemental double-crossed me and killed my handler, I’m out for revenge. And I’ll exterminate anyone who gets in my way. I may look hot in a miniskirt, but I’m still one of the bad guys. Which is why I’m in trouble when irresistibly rugged Detective Donovan Caine agrees to help. The last thing a coldhearted killer needs when she’s battling a magic more powerful than her own is a sexy distraction... especially when he wants her dead just as much as the enemy.
Book source ~ Audible
Author ~ Jennifer Estep
Narrator ~ Lauren Fortgang
28 September 2010
Paranormal | UF | Suspense
12 hrs 59 min

My Rating ~ 3 bites


Gin Blanco is known in assassin circles as the Spider. She’s a Stone Elemental which means she’s connected to all things stone-ish. She’s just going about, doing her job when an Air Elemental kills her long-time handler. All bets are off now as Gin goes after the one responsible and anyone who gets in her way.


This sounded like an action-packed book that would be right up my dark alley. And it kinda is. Gin is a badass of the first order. She’s got skills and a cool innate talent with anything resembling stone. The secondary characters are great and the plot is decent. It’s the writing that puts me off. It’s repetitive as fuck. And if I had to hear about eye colors one more time I would have had to put my own blue eyes out with a sharp implement. So, in my opinion, it could have used additional polishing to take the rough edges off. Otherwise, it’s a unique take on the paranormal. The narrator also does a great job, so I would definitely listen to more of Lauren Fortgang’s audio works.


2 comments:

  1. I really burned myself out on these back in the 2000's - 2010's and somehow missed this one. I might skip it though and reread Anita Blake on audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a love/hate relationship with Anita Blake. Some of her later books are so plot lite and description thicc I just can't even. LOL

      Delete