Friday, November 25, 2022

Clean

I used to work for the Telepath’s Guild before they kicked me out for a drug habit that wasn’t entirely my fault. Now I work for the cops, helping Homicide Detective Isabella Cherabino put killers behind bars.

My ability to get inside the twisted minds of suspects makes me the best interrogator in the department. But the normals keep me on a short leash. When the Tech Wars ripped the world apart, the Guild stepped up to save it. But they had to get scary to do it - real scary.

Now the cops don’t trust the telepaths, the Guild doesn’t trust me, a serial killer is stalking the city - and I’m aching for a fix. But I need to solve this case. Fast. I’ve just had a vision of the future: I’m the next to die.

Book source ~ Purchased on Audible
Alex Hughes ~ author
Daniel May ~ narrator
1 April 2013
Sci-Fi
11 hrs 12 mins

My Rating ~ 4 bites


A recovering drug addict who is also a powerful telepath works for the police department helping to solve crimes. Most times it’s just grinding away at normal harder than usual to break criminals. But sometimes he helps Homicide Detective Isabella Cherabino solve murders. And this time, there’s a serial killer on the loose.


The entire book is first person and our battered and broken hero is never really addressed by name until the end. Anyway, the telepathic crime fighter has a drug problem that he tries really hard to overcome. He’s fallen off the wagon before and had stricter sanctions put upon him, not to mention losing the trust of his co-workers and place of employment, so he knows what’s at stake each time a craving hits. Now there’s a serial killer on the loose and it looks like it’s someone like him. At least, with abilities similar to his which makes things even harder. 

Set in a near future where the Tech Wars have already happened and tech is now severely regulated, it’s pretty bleak. Add paranormal abilities to some people who are regulated by an entirely different governing body and there’s strain in an already strained atmosphere. It all makes for a tense and compelling read. Or listen in my case since I have the audiobook. A fascinating look at one possible future.



No comments:

Post a Comment