Sunday, December 27, 2020

AVR Weekly News ~ 375th Edition

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by 
Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer. 
~ Recap the past week ~ 
~ Show what's upcoming ~ 
~ Share news ~ 
~ Display book hauls ~

<<< Flip Back

  • Sunday ~ Meme ~ AVR Weekly News ~ 374th Edition

Page Forward >>>

 

  • Tuesday ~ Post ~ The Write Reads: Favorite Tour Books of 2020
  • Wednesday ~ Meme ~ 2020 Yearly Wrap Up
  • Thursday ~ Meme ~ 2020 Book RoundUp
  • Sunday ~ MemeAVR Weekly News ~ 376th Edition

--- AVR News Update ---
Hello and Happy Sunday!
I hope everyone had a wonderful week.

On the Home Front: I spent the week preparing for Christmas. Anna pretty much got her room set up and now she has to find spots for her Christmas stuff. Don't we all? lol I have not tidied the spare room, but that's coming. I'm also going to reorganize my office because holy fuck does it need it. I need to switch out to my new PC so I figured I'd do the shelves too. Mostly because I can't fucking stand it in here anymore. LOL

I still have not gone through my tupperware and really need to do that this week. It takes up the whole table in the kitchen and is bugging the shit out of me.

Vengeance was shaking his head and holding his ears funny so I got him into the vet Tuesday. It turns out he had the beginnings of an ear infection in both ears. They put medicine in and I brought him home. Then he proceeded to worry us with his lethargic attitude. We had to coax him to get up and go outside to potty, to drink, to eat. Oh, he had no problem eating treats but he turned up his nose at the kibble. Since he's 12 we indulged him a bit, but yesterday I made him eat his kibble, drink a good amount of water, and walk around. He seems to be on the mend. He even went for a car ride with Anna to pick up Alex.

Everyone had a good Christmas. I do not cook on Christmas Day (or my birthday), so we had leftovers from Christmas Eve. I talked with my oldest spawn on the phone as well as my oldest brother who spent Christmas alone this year due to COVID. He's high risk so stayed home. We had Facetime with my mom, other brother, sis-in-law, niece, nephew, and nephew's girlfriend. My brother and his family live next to mom, so they all had Christmas together.

Yesterday we picked up the grandkiddos for an overnight. They ripped and tore their presents open and since we got them Nerf guns, Kyleigh and Boone were pitted against Trip and Kyle (with a lifetime arsenal of Nerf guns at their disposal) which isn't very fair in my opinion, but everyone had a blast. They'll head home today and we'll start packing up the Christmas decorations and get the tree out to the firepit. When it's nice and dried out (maybe February or March) we'll sacrifice it to the S'mores Gods. 

In other news, we are completely overrun with recyclables and the bin will not take a sliver more. We have pick up on Tuesday, but what we have could fill the can twice over and recyclables only picks up every two weeks. So, it looks like hubby and I need to make a run to Republic Services' only drop site in the county to get rid of it. It's only about 20 minutes from here, so not too bad.

With luck the house will be a bit tidier to ring in the New Year.

Touching Nature: It was warmish then it got nipply out there. No freezing rain or snow though. It's supposed to be a bit warmer this week.

Book News: I hope this concludes the busiest year I've had in awhile in terms of not having time to visit blogs and comment. Yeesh. I'm a terrible blogging friend. I have 4 reviews to write but they're for next year. I am going to try and get them written this week though or I'll completely forget about them. I'm standing right now at 111 books read for the year. My year end wrap ups are coming this week.

Don't Touch That Dial!: The Christmas watch has been concluded with: The Santa Clause, Rudolph, The Year Without Santa, Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated), and It's a Wonderful Life. We didn't get to some we watch every year (like A Christmas Story), but I'm not going to stress about it.

At the Flicks: Nope

Cyberspace Playground: Nope

Randomness: 
Carol's Nuggets of Wisdom: Ok, so I only just thought of this when my daughter was wrapping a coat for her boyfriend. It came with a spare button and that got me thinking about how many clothing buttons I've accumulated over the years and now have no idea what they go to. So, I thought, take a picture of the item, print it out, and attach the button to the picture. Keep it in your sewing kit. And if you do not have a sewing kit then you should get one. Everyone needs a sewing kit at some point. Stock it with a packet of needles & pins, various thread in basic colors, a good pair of scissors, a thimble, and a seam ripper. I'm not a great sewer but I can patch a ripped seam, fix a loose hem, or a buttonhole that's gotten too large for the button. I also can reattach buttons. I've even patched dog toys that have been eviscerated. My sewing kit is probably 30 yrs old and it gets a decent amount of use between me, hubby, and my daughter. I have one with a compartment under a tray so I can store scrap fabric and odds & ends. Like these pictures with buttons. I'm a genius. LOL

That's it for me. AVR News Update signing off. May all your books enthrall you.
∞ Shelf Additions ∞
From the library
Nope


For Christmas
I also got a $25 Amazon card so I'll be shopping.
AND
I got some bluetooth headphones I've been wanting to
sync to my Fire so I can listen to audiobooks. WOOT!

My daughter bought this for me.
I guess I'll be doing some writing.


For Review
These are the books I had for the 2nd round of the BBNYA.
They didn't go to the final round and I wanted to finish them.
Many thanks to the authors for providing review copies!


Freebies
Free at time of drafting.
Gaze twice, click once.


10 comments:

  1. You all sound like you had a great Christmas. You always have so much going on, I love it. I wanted to take my decorations down this weekend but I think one more week and will take them down on Friday. The house looks so cozy.
    I inherited a box of buttons that my grandmother had and I have no idea what to do with them all. I will keep them and pass them on to my son or daughter and lets them be all confused until they pass it on to their kids. lol

    Have a great week Carol and Happy New Year! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you love it becasue I don't love having so much going on. I want my boring life back. LOLOL

      I have a box of buttons from mom. I may do something with them some day or maybe I'll just pass them on to Anna. LOL

      Happy New Year! XOXO

      Delete
  2. What a nice holiday! We only got our tree decorated, well 3 days ago so we will leave it up for a bit. I have an old German breadbox which I store all those buttons and bits in. I have the compartmented sewing box but the bottom is full of tiny spools of thread in a bunch of colors. My regular big spools are in a rack on the wall which doesn't hold them all. We actually have two big wheeled recycle carts since they only come every other week. I just had to request it. We could use recycle every week and garbage once a month. Hope you have another good week! (at least the weather's going to warm up)

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense to keep it up and enjoy it for a bit longer. As much as I love the tree it's been up since Thanksgiving weekend and I was ready to put Artemis' kennel back in that spot.

      OH! I love the idea of a German breadbox for sewing stuff. How cool!

      Omg, yes! We could do a full recycle bin once a week and a small garbage bin once a month. Though lately we've had a bit more since we're cleaning and purging.

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good holiday and another busy week. Are you ever not busy, lol? I keep buttons though my sewing skills are lacking. I should try to improve them, at least for repairs and maintenance.

    Anyway, happy (soon to be) New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never used to be this busy. Wft 2020?! I want my boring life back! Though I have to admit I am enjoying the changes.

      I know maybe 2 kinds of stitches and they work pretty good for most things. They are butt ugly though. LOL

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good Christmas! Nerf battles are the best... It's been a while since we had one of those. :)

    Happy New Year (such as it is) when the time comes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I video'd the battles and they had fun. :D

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. You've been very busy ! I have a sewing kit, my mother was a seamstress. I didn't inherit her skills, but I can mend holes and fix simple things like pants that are too long or ripped pockets. These days, I've gone back to embroidery, it's very calming and peaceful. Happy holidays !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's cool! My mom could fix things, make things, and quilt. Plus, she has a sewing machine. I have a portable one I haven't taken out of the case in probably 30-ish yrs. I should probably do that this coming year. lol

      Delete