Monday, December 30, 2019

2019 Year End Wrap Up



<<< Flip Back

  • January ~ Adopted Artemis (formerly known as Velvet) who had been at the shelter for 5 months. She does not get along with the cats. Had to build a gate in the hallway to keep them separated.
  • February ~ Warm. Too warm for NC in Feb. Will it ever quit raining?
  • March ~ Flew for the first time since 1997. The whole process filled me with anxiety because of all the differences since 9/11. Plus, my ticket was on my phone. I'm smartphone inept most of the time, but it went well. Made it to OH fine. Drove mom back to NC for a long visit then drove her back and flew home. I turned 51. Hubby marked 25 yrs at his place of employment. Daffodils. So many daffodils.
  • April ~ Carolina Hurricanes made it into the Stanley Cup playoffs. Yay! 
  • May ~ Hurricanes almost made it to the Stanley Cup. Sad, but they did a great job! NCDOT mower chewed up the AT&T box on our road. It was 8 DAYS before we got our internet back. Incompetent fuckers. Finally got some seedlings planted. The answer to February's question is: Yes. In May. Also, 90s. Wtf.
  • June ~ Kyle started at ECPI in the Mechatronics program. Trip turned 20. Anna started Vet Tech program with some online summer classes. Got to meet a virtual friend in real life. Exciting!
  • July ~ 1 yr anniversary of dad's death, family reunion in OH
  • August ~ Hubby lost job due to toxic management, hubby found an Ops Manager job at a gentleman's club. Talk about an entirely different direction for his career. lol
  • September ~ Hubby adjusts to new job and crazy hours. Anna turns 22 and hubby turns 51.
  • October ~ Went to Hurricanes home openerKyle turned 19.
  • November ~ Thanksgiving in Ohio. Kyle drops out of ECPI and decides to go in another career direction. What that direction is, he's not quite sure yet.
  • December ~ Anna finished semester with high grades. She adopts her kennel dog, Mr. Puggles. He is having some adjustment issues to the cats and he and Artemis and Vengeance don't really get along. He spends his time on the cat side of the hallway gate and Anna has his crate in her room. This month is fictionally awesome with The Mandalorian (ok, so it came out in Nov, but that's being picky), The Witcher and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

Page Forward >>>

  •  January ~ All about Organization ~ Cupboards, closets, drawers, house, sheds. And omg, my filing cabinet. Okay, so this was also last year's, but it still needs done.
  • February - December ~ I'm just going to wing it.

--- AVR News Update ---


On the Home Front: While we've had some good things happen, this year has also been one of the toughest ever. I still miss my dad. But we soldier on. Hubby lost his job and I was in a complete panic as he's our only source of income. But he landed another and while the pay and hours aren't ideal by a long shot, he likes the job and the pay is better than unemployment. My stepdaughter announced they are having their 3rd child, so another grandkiddo is due in May 2020.

Touching Nature: The weather has been all over the damn place and for the first time in many years we were not in drought conditions. In fact, we've had more moisture than we really need. The ground is beyond saturated. Enough already. Spring was super short and summer was too hot. Again. We planted stuff but didn't get much out of it. Probably because we started way too late. Note to self: start in February, not May. In December we liberated many daffodil and iris bulbs from the abandoned house next door. Hopefully they will bloom for us in March.

Book News: Started touring again but only with The Write Reads. I completed my Goodread Challenge only because I lowered my goal from 150 to 100. It's been a bad reading year. I'm also thinking of writing a book. We'll see how that goes.

Don't Touch That Dial!: Criminal Minds (up through season 12 since that's as far as Netflix goes), finally finished Psych, watched Mindhunter and started Dexter (finished thru Season 4). Boys and I started watching Star Wars in chronological order, including the animated series. We've made it through Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Hubby, boys, and I watched The Mandalorian because we signed up for Disney+. Of course we did. And The Witcher! Other than that it's been nothing but sports for me: Cleveland Indians, Cleveland Browns, and the Carolina Hurricanes with a little bit of OSU football thrown in.

At the Flicks: AquamanAvengers: Endgame, Spider-Man Far From Home, Captain Marvel, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Shazam!, Rambo: Last Blood, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Cyberspace Playground: I'm still trying to start a business for indie authors called The Author Depot where I help authors with their social media. 

Randomness: 

Carol's Nuggets of Wisdom: As I creep closer to 52, I have come to the realization that you just have to take each day as it comes. That's not to say you don't get out there and make magic of your own, so go do that if it floats your boat. Also, you can only live your life for YOU. No one else.
That's it for me. AVR News Update signing off. May all your books enthrall you.
∞ Shelf Additions ∞
From the library
I suggested many purchases and they were all bought.
I should really start keeping track of them.

Physical books
Rec'd some for birthday and Christmas.

Review Requests
No change from last year.
I cut way back on those this year. I only add a select few since 
I have such a huge backlog. That includes staying far away from NetGalley.

Freebies
I cut back. A lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment