Thursday, October 17, 2019

TWR Tour ~ Shadows



Book source ~ Tour. 
My review is voulntary and honest.
16 March 2019
Fantasy | YA
104 Pages

My Rating ~ 3 bites

Sapphire Smyth’s 18th birthday may not be the most enjoyable of birthdays, but it sure is memorable. After all, it’s not every day that you turn 18 and get kicked out of the foster home where you thought they cared about you. Abandoned as a child by her father when her mother died and now again by the only family she’s really known. What kind of bullshit is this?

Then something freaky happens. Is she going nuts or is she seeing shadows come to life? And what does her best friend Ben have to do with any of this? She wants answers but Ben isn’t talking. That should piss her off, but Sapphire is a bit of an idiot. And she’s easily distracted from questions needing answers. This is what I consider a major flaw of hers and it is supremely irritating.

Since this is part one of a five part serial I know it won’t come as a surprise that it’s about 100 pages and ends in a cliffhanger. The world building is sparse and the character development lacks, most likely because it is a serial and I think the story gets short-changed in this format. Probably why I don’t read serials. In any case, I think it would read better and be less frustrating (I’m looking at you short-attention-span Sapphire) if it were beefed up a bit. Since the story is very incomplete I may continue on to see what happens and review it as a whole. But I sure hope Sapphire gains some focus. And some answers. Because I just want to smack some sense into her at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment