Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Death of Darkness

Book source ~ ARC. 
My review is voluntary and honest.
20 August 2019
Paranormal | Romance | Humor
497 Pages


My Rating ~ 5 bites

The Immortal Guardians have been fighting for the safety of humanity for thousands of years. Seth is their leader, the stern disciplinarian, the mother hen, the worrier – he is the heart and soul of the Immortal Guardians. But he’s not like the other Immortal Guardians. He’s one of the Others and one of his former brethren is targeting him through his beloved Guardians. Gershom has lost his damn mind if he thinks Seth is just going to stand by and let him hurt and kill humans, gifted ones, and Immortal Guardians. Oh, hell no!

When Leah Somerson walks into his life, for the first time in several millennia Seth is torn in his duty. He must protect everyone, but he’s so lonely. Dare he allow himself to explore a relationship when Armageddon is about to break loose? As the other Guardians cotton onto Seth’s attraction to Leah, he may not have a choice. For the first time ever, they are plotting against him. But don’t worry, it’s really for him. Hell, if it were a Facebook relationship status it would say “It’s complicated.”

This series continues to sit in my Top Ten Favorite Series List. I sound like a broken record when I write my review for each story that comes out. I love it. I love them all. But Seth’s story…man, oh, man. Dianne Duvall outdid herself with this one. First of all, it’s massive. And Seth deserves every single page. Besides, there is a lot going on! Then there’s the characters. They step off the page. Almost literally. Strong women, strong men, a wonderful mix of paranormal elements, action, hot yummy steaminess, tension, laughter, and a whole gamut of emotions. I care for each and every character. Except the villains, of course. I started plowing through this book the day I received it, staying up way, way, way past my bedtime. I didn’t have a chance to finish it in one sitting, but I finished the next day. I even went back a few chapters to reread since I was so tired the night before I was afraid I may have missed something. I was so embedded and invested in the story it took me a few days to recover from my book hangover. I love and hate when that happens because I mourn the book world when I have to return to the real world. It doesn’t help that these stories are set in my home state of North Carolina, only about an hour from my location. It makes the setting even more real for me.

I don’t know what else to tell you. If the thought of starting yet another series is too daunting (trust me, I know that feeling) then have no fear. You can definitely read this book as a standalone. However, if you haven’t started with book 1, do so. Right now! *cough* I mean, please do so. Honestly, this book will have so much more depth and delicious richness if you do.
Kindle | Nook | Kobo | iTunes | AmazonUK 

No comments:

Post a Comment