Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Duel

The Duel
   ~Barbara Metzger
Publisher ~ Untreed Reads
                    Signet (original)
Published ~ 17 January 2012
                    1 February 2005 (original)

My Rating ~ 4 out of 5

Ian Maddox the Earl of Marden has to defend his honor, so finds himself involved in a duel, a duel that could mean his life and all because he slept with another man's wife. Idiot. He certainly wasn't the first man to sleep with her and he will definitely not be the last, so why did Lord Paige pick him to call out? And why did Lord Paige fire early and while Ian’s back was still turned? And why did Ian, instead of wounding the coward, fire into the woods? And why did his bullet ricochet off a tree and hit a young man out for a ride with his groom? Great Scott! What a mess and that’s just the beginning.

Oh, Barbara Metzger, you haven’t let me down yet. What an entertaining read! The story flowed smoothly with no hiccups, the characters were interesting, well-rounded and funny and the plot was engaging. I especially loved Ian. Poor Ian. He needed to have his life turned upside down and the Renslows were just the ones to do it to him. It helped that his guilt was a great motivator. LOL

I’m glad Troy wasn’t a spoiled brat (I worried he would be with a doting sister taking care of him since he was a baby) and that Attie was a delightful character full of piss and vinegar. Even the dog was a delight. I also love how Ms. Metzger gives us some peeks at the servants and their behaviors in her books as well as having a salty dog or two involved in the story. Her books engage my whole attention and are a wonderful lighthearted way to pass the time. I always look forward to reading more by her.

*The publisher provided a copy of this book to me for review. Please see my disclaimer page.

No comments:

Post a Comment