Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Stay At Home Dead

Stay at Home Dead
    ~ Jeffrey Allen
Publisher ~ Kensington
Published ~ 3 January 2012

My Rating ~ 5 out of 5

Deuce Winters is that rare individual, a stay-at-home dad. Living in the small town of Rose Petal, Texas with his beautiful, intelligent, funny and successful lawyer wife Julianne and their three-yr-old daughter Carly, Deuce spends his days doing laundry, cleaning, cooking and caring for Carly. For three years the town of Rose Petal thinks Deuce can’t find a job, but Deuce is happy being a stay-at-home dad while his wife is the breadwinner. His days are busy, happy and normal. That is, until the day he comes out of the grocery store with Carly and finds a dead body in his minivan and most of the dimwitted gossips think Deuce is the murderer.

I loved this book! I haven’t laughed so much during a murder mystery since I read the Arly Hanks series by Joan Hess. Who says all murder mysteries need to be serious or dangerous? There are many moments of giggling, laughing and outright guffaws during this book. In fact, there was one instance of tears as I…*giggling, chortling, gasping* Sorry. I was just replaying the instance in my head and had an uncontrollable fit of the giggles.

Well-written, smooth-flowing and hilarious. I love Deuce’s observations of his fellow citizens, Julianne’s fierceness and intelligence and Carly’s cuteness. And let’s not forget the colorful characters in this town. I am so looking forward to the next book in Deuce’s mystery series coming out in October.

*The publisher provided a copy of this book for me to review. Please see disclaimer page.

No comments:

Post a Comment