Monday, January 2, 2012

Review for The Z Word

The Z Word ~ Bella Street
Publisher ~ Bella Street
Published ~ 3 June 2011

My Rating ~ 2 out of 5

This is a story about four friends, Seffy, Addy, Lani and Gareth, who are in some kind of explosion that sends them back in time from 2006 to 1980 and from California to Montana. They wake up in a strange place with a pink sky and zombies. After finding each other in the debris they try to survive this strange experience.

Ok, this was a quirky concept that just couldn’t be pulled off. The main character, Seffy, got on my last nerve until I was really hoping she’d be a zombie entrĂ©e. Seffie’s ‘friend’ Addy was such a bitch to her I couldn’t understand why she called her a friend instead of kicking her to the curb. Lani was a flake and I just couldn’t get a bead on Gareth. The most interesting character in the book for me was Trent.

There were mysteries and secrets galore and by the time of the abrupt cliffhanger ending we had learned nothing about any of the secrets or mysteries. In fact, more mystery was piled on top of the existing ones. Many references were made as to the fact they had left Montana for some reason to move to California and they were to never talk about it again, but no explanation is given as to WHY. Not one single itty bitty nugget of info is revealed. I was forcefully reminded of Scrooge McDuck during this story as Ms Street hung onto her secrets like he hung onto money. I can understand the need for suspense and stringing us readers along, but I was so frustrated by not learning ANYTHING that I’m not interested in continuing the series.

*The author provided a copy to me for review. Please see disclaimer.

Stay tuned for my review of Bella Street's 'Kiss Me, I'm Irish'. That's one I really enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment