Wednesday, April 24, 2024

The Dispatcher ~ Audiobook

One day, not long from now, it becomes almost impossible to murder anyone - 999 times out of a thousand, anyone who is intentionally killed comes back. How? We don't know. But it changes everything: war, crime, daily life.

Tony Valdez is a Dispatcher - a licensed, bonded professional whose job is to humanely dispatch those whose circumstances put them in death's crosshairs, so they can have a second chance to avoid the reaper. But when a fellow Dispatcher and former friend is apparently kidnapped, Tony learns that there are some things that are worse than death and that some people are ready to do almost anything to avenge a supposed wrong.

It's a race against time for Valdez to find his friend before it's too late...before not even a Dispatcher can save him.

Book source ~ Audible
John Scalzi ~ Author
Zachary Quinto ~ Narrator
Sci-Fi | Mystery
4 October 2016
2 hrs 18 mins

My Rating ~ 5 bites



In the future it becomes nearly impossible to murder someone. They just come back. Eventually, there are people called Dispatchers, those employees who bring people back so they can get a do over. Hopefully not making the same mistake that got them killed in the first place. Like, having a risky surgery that ends up killing them. If a Dispatcher can kill them intentionally before they die on the table naturally then maybe a different surgeon can be used, a different treatment, or, just, you know, anything different. Tony Valdez is a Dispatcher and filling in for a coworker is about to get him embroiled in something dangerous.


I bought this audiobook years ago and finally in 2022 and 2023 had time to listen on one of my many trips to and from OH from my home in NC. My mom was going through chemo and then she died and I needed to continue to drive back and forth to help my brothers with the family farm. It was a stressful and extremely sucky time. However, I did get to listen to many audiobooks. Unfortunately I didn’t get the reviews written and now it’s months and months later. I don’t really remember the whole plot of this one, but I do remember I enjoyed the concept, the writing, and the narrator. So much so I intend to eventually listen to the other two books in the series. I just don’t know when.


2 comments: