Saturday, May 7, 2022

The Carnival of Ash

Cadenza is the City of Words, a city run by poets, its skyline dominated by the steepled towers of its libraries, its heart beating to the stamp and thrum of the printing presses in the Printing Quarter.

Carlo Mazzoni, a young wordsmith arrives at the city gates intent on making his name as the bells ring out with the news of the death of the city’s poet-leader. Instead, he finds himself embroiled with the intrigues of a city in turmoil, the looming prospect of war with their rival Venice ever-present. A war that threatens not only to destroy Cadenza but remove it from history altogether…

Book source ~ Tour
Tom Beckerlegge
15 March 2022
Alternative Universe
528 Pages

My Rating ~ No rating
DNF @12%



While I consider this book to be well-written and extremely clever, the writing style isn't one that I enjoy. Which is why I gave it one of my rare no rating for a DNF. Other tour bloggers have compared it to commedia dell'arte which I know nothing about and understand even less. To compare it to something I know, I'd say it's kind-of-sort-of like the Thursday Next series, but way more flamboyant and over-the-top (in a good way). I know plenty of bloggers who would absolutely love this book, so I hope they pick it up.


Tom Beckerlegge grew up in the northwest of England in a house filled with books. Writing as Tom Becker, he won the Waterstones Children’s Book Prize with his debut novel; The Carnival of Ash is his first adult book. He lives in Enfield with his wife and young son.





No comments:

Post a Comment