Friday, June 28, 2019

Chasing Graves ~ 1st Chapter Review



Book source ~ Tour
7 December 2018
Dark | Fantasy
301 Pages

1st Chapter Review

My Thoughts:

The prelude has a woman dragging a corpse across the Long Sands which is described as a desert. The dead guy’s ghost tries to irritate her, but she threatens it with a copper dagger. This piques my curiosity. Can a ghost be killed again in this world? Who is this woman? Why did she kill this man? Why drag his body across a desert? Intriguing. I’ll need to read more to see.

I meet Caltro Basalt in Chapter One. He’s sailing on a ship to Araxes because he received a job offer. Caltro is a thief, a pretty good one by his own reckoning and what he’s doing when I meet him is gross. And a bit funny. Anyway, Araxes seems to be a nasty city, full of murderers who kill people to enslave their ghosts or shades. They’re known as soulstealers. This does not sound like any city I want to visit. But Caltro is heading into this scary city after the ship docks, so I have to travel with him. And by the end of Chapter One I wish I could run away.

The writing is excellent. It pulls me in and keeps me in this world. I want to continue on and see how this Araxes sustains itself. I mean, why would anyone travel there?! Well, I guess it’s not so bad if you can afford lots of bodyguards, but I saw no law enforcement while Caltro was running for his life in Chapter One even though he mentions it’s not exactly a lawless place. This is shaping up to be a dark and grim fantasy, but there’s been a bit of humor so far, so hopefully there’ll be more to lighten up the dark places. I look forward to continuing on with this tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment