Tuesday, August 15, 2017

The White Magic Five and Dime

*Book source ~ Library
Steve Hockensmith, Lisa Falco
8 July 2014
Cozy Mystery
326 Pages

My Rating ~ 4 bites and a nibble

Alanis McLachlan has not had a conventional childhood and it ended when she walked out on her mother. So she is understandably surprised when her mom croaks and leaves her everything. However, Alanis discovers, much like her childhood, nothing is ever as simple as it seems. Can she solve her mother’s murder and get to the bottom of what she was up to all while keeping herself alive?

This is told differently. Almost like Alanis is talking to the reader. I love it, but a lot of readers may find it off-putting. There’s a mystery to solve which is always nice, but her mother is a con artist of the finest order so it gets tricky, tricky and trickier. There’s humor and horror (Alanis’s childhood will give you nightmares), twists and turns, and the ending surprised me. I can’t wait to see what Alanis plans to do now. Glad I have books 2 & 3 from the library. This should be good.

2 comments:

  1. This soundsjust like what I'd enjoy. I like it when the story is being told to me too:) Great cover and title also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read many that are written like this and I enjoy them when they're done well. This one is. I hope you pick it up!

      Delete