Thursday, February 12, 2015

The Anatomy of Desire

*Book source ~ Picked up for free on Smashwords
Author ~ Ayana Prende
Publisher ~ Ayana Prende
Published ~ 6 January 2015
Genre ~ Historical | Romance
Pages ~ 256


My Rating ~ 4 bites and a nibble

Katherine Forrester has been married for eight months, but has yet to share her husband’s bed. At first he was kind, gentle and understanding of her marriage bed fears, but lately his temper has been escalating and she knows he is tupping one of the maids. She knows she should be upset, but secretly she’s relieved he’s finding sexual attention elsewhere. Sent to Doctor David Hershaw to treat her for female hysteria she dreads the treatments and also despairs that she’ll ever be able to have sex and produce the required heir. Her situation seems hopeless, but Dr. Hershaw is kind and believes he can help her. While doubtful, she decides she has no choice but to submit to his treatment.

I picked up this book because I thought it would be a bit of historical erotica. While it does have many sexy bits to it, the story is so much more. It’s about Katherine and why she is the way she is, her husband and his downward spiral and the Doctor who specializes in treating women. I came to think of Hershaw as one of the forerunners of gynecology as well as being part psychiatrist. There’s some mystery and suspense as well as romance and steamy bits. I was hooked from the beginning and couldn’t read fast enough to see how it all played out. All-in-all an intriguing historical love story.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I think I would like this - I like the concept and I've always enjoyed reading about historical medicine and treatments. Thanks for putting it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Even though it wasn't exactly what I *thought* it would be about, it hooked me from the beginning. Excellent story.

      Delete
  2. The plot is interesting, thanks for sharing, I'll add it to my list. I shiver a little, though, when I think about how hysteria was sometimes treated back in those days : excision... Did you know that the word "hysteria" comes from "uterus" ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excision is mentioned by another Dr and I was just like...*shudders* No, I didn't know that. I like history when it's woven into a good story. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh this is different and I too thought you were going to be reviewing an erotic fiction..you have me curious my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't love some historical erotica, right? ;) There are some steamy bits, but it's more historical romance. Not a bad thing. I loved it.

      Delete