Saturday, March 31, 2012

Before She Dies

Before She Dies ~ Mary Burton
Publisher ~ Zebra
Published ~ 31 January 2012

My Rating ~ 5 out of 5

Charlotte Wellington is a damn good defense attorney. No one knows that she grew up in a carnival or that she left it at age 16, a week after her sister was murdered. However, 18 years later when the carnival comes into town and a woman is murdered, I didn’t need Madame Divine to tell me Charlotte’s past and present were about to collide.

This book didn’t lure me in from the beginning with sweet words. It grabbed me by the collar, yanked me down a hall, tossed me in a room and sat on me until I just had to finish it. It forced me to ignore good hygiene, tune out a grumbling stomach, made my kids forage for food by themselves, rush the dogs on their potty breaks and barely let me go long enough to pack my husband’s lunch for work. It drove me crazy! It was as if it was glued to my hand AND I couldn’t figure out who the killer was! Gah! I loved it!

Excellent plot, smooth-flowing, interesting well-developed characters. I couldn’t read it fast enough. The urge to peek at the end was off the charts for me. I so badly wanted to know who the killer was and yet I was determined to figure it out myself without cheating. I’m sad to say I made it about ¾ of the way before the urge to peek overwhelmed me. Although, that might just be a record for me. *shamefaced grin*

How I have never before seen books by Mary Burton I’ll never know. Now that I’ve read one I need to find more!

*The publisher provided a copy of this book to me for review. Please see my disclaimer page.

2 comments:

  1. Don't believe you. The cover doesn't have hordes of semi-naked men on the front.

    Who are you and what have you done with the real Voracious?

    Book is intriguing though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?! *looks at cover again* You're right! *takes book and tapes picture of semi-naked men on it* There! All fixed. Whew! For a minute there my reputation was at stake.

    Cover notwithstanding, it was an excellent read.

    ReplyDelete