Friday, February 17, 2012

Color My Horse

Color My Horse ~ Bev Pettersen
Publisher ~ Bev Pettersen
Published ~ 13 August 2011

My Rating ~ 3.5 out of 5

Jessica Boone is the rich granddaughter of a tyrant in charge of a large corporation. Her competitive skiing career goes down the drain when she has an accident that wrecks her knee. Now, her grandfather is pressuring her to join the family business, but Jessica just wants out from under his thumb. A deal is struck. If Jessica can last 8 weeks at Belmont where he has two race horses without quitting or being fired then he will finance her dog daycare business. If she quits or is fired before the 8 weeks is up she has to work at Boone.

Mark Russell is a horse trainer with a good reputation for wins. With Boone’s two horses looking good enough to win in 8 weeks he’s left no option but to hire Jessica at her grandfather’s demand. Boone tells Mark she won’t last a week, but Jessica surprises them all.

This is a great story. The plot was decent, the writing good, the characters believable. My only problem was that Jessica and Mark were occasionally childish in their actions. There were times they acted as hormonal and moody as teenagers even though Mark was 31 and Jessica in her 20s. I was especially irritated with Mark since he was supposed to be a mature adult and an excellent horse trainer and businessman. I understand they both had emotional baggage they were carrying around, but it still irritated me.

I loved learning more about horse racing. I grew up on a farm and when my parents stopped raising beef cattle and started renting the farmland out they raised a few race horses. By that time I had grown and moved out, so I never really paid attention to the details of the horses and where they raced. Learning about what goes into racing a horse was very interesting to me even after all these years.

I am definitely going to read more of Bev Pettersen’s books and I can’t wait to pick up the next one.

*The author provided a copy of this book to me for review. Please see disclaimer page.

No comments:

Post a Comment