Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Beowulf ~ Audiobook


In this epic poem, Beowulf, a hero of the Geats, comes to the aid of the king of the Danes whose great hall is plagued by the monster Grendel. Beowulf kills Grendel bare-handed and goes on to kill Grendel's mother with a giant’s sword that he recovers from her lair. Later, as king of the Geats, Beowulf confronts a dragon that terrorizes his kingdom. J.R.R. Tolkien said of Beowulf that it is in fact so interesting as poetry, in places poetry so powerful, that this quite overshadows the historical content.

Book source ~ Purchased at Chirp
The Beowulf Poet (unknown)
Steve Crossley ~ Narrator
Classics
3 October 2017 (audio)
First published
between 975 and 1025 AD

My Rating ~ 1 bite
DNF @21%



Beowulf is a beloved classic that I had never read, but heard so much about. When I saw it on sale at Chirp I decided that it was time to give it a whirl.


No. This is not for me. I tried, I really did. I listened to it then completely zoned out, so I went back and tried again. That did not work. The language is too archaic for me. It’s so hard to follow and all the names and places are impossible to keep straight. So, I bailed. Marking it off my list of classics is great though. So there is that. *shrugs* The narrator is great though.



No comments:

Post a Comment