Thursday, October 22, 2020

Legends Rise

In the third installment of the Venators series, Rune, Grey, and their companions Beltran and Verida have set off together to save their mentor Tate from the gladiator games. As their group struggles to stay together under the strain of their situation, Rune's twin brother Ryker is falling more surely into the clutches of Zio the sorceress, who has her own plots for the future of Eon, and the Venators.
Book source ~ Tour
12 May 2020
YA | Fantasy
400 Pages

My Rating ~ 4 bites 

The Council’s Venators Rune & Grey, the shapeshifter Beltran, and Council member and vampire Verida set off to rescue their Venshii friend Tate from the dreaded Games. While they cross the land to the Underground several factions are making their move as well. Rune’s twin Ryker, also a Venator, is in the hands of the Council’s enemy, the sorceress Zio and he doesn’t mind at all. Secrets are rampant and war is coming. Who will survive to rule Eon?

In order to post for the tour I’m writing this review while only having completed 68% of the book. Real life has just been getting in the way of my reading. Being an adult just sucks.  I will update when I finish. However, in the meantime… 

Here’s what I know: Grey is really getting the bad end of the stick in this book. Yikes! Rune is being a whiny-assed beyotch that I just want to smack around a bit to knock some sense into her. Plus, I’d enjoy it. Beltran can be quite annoying, but at least he’s also being helpful. Verida is just plain annoying. I hate Ryker. I mean, seriously, actually, loathe him. He is not redeemable in my eyes. Slit his throat and move on. Zio is a mystery. I am jonesing for her back story, but at this point I’ve only been teased with it. Arwin, the wizard, is probably my favorite character. I hope he kicks some serious ass in the last portion of the book. I dislike the vampire Dmitri, the werewolf Silen, the incubus Shax, and the succubus Tashara is kinda pathetic really. I hope she does some good work later. I have not yet seen the Fae Ambrose and the Elf Omri only had a small part before running off to take care of an emergency in his kingdom, so I hope to see more soon. Feena the Fae Queen is pretty much dead. I think? Her son Keir is King, but I don’t think he’s nearly as sneaky nor as smart as she is/was.

There are a LOT of underground and behind the back machinations going on and it’s hard to keep up with them. I just find this part a bit wearing. It seems like everyone except the Venators have two, three, or more faces and it’s exhausting.

The world is vastly interesting and built fairly well, the characters are in-depth and not cardboard caricatures, and while the plot is convoluted it is moving the story forward. I look forward to rounding third base and sliding into home soon with this one.

Update: I finally managed some time to finish this book. The only thing I need to add is…that ending!! Holy shit! I’m looking forward to book 4 because I have a feeling it’s going to be a doozy.


The Author

Devri Walls lives in Kuna Idaho with her husband and two kids. She has worked as a music teacher and currently, a preschool teacher. She majored in theater and her love of a story still drives her today. Thankfully, she has finally found an outlet for all the voices in her head.


No comments:

Post a Comment