Monday, November 11, 2019

The Captive

Book source ~ NetGalley
1 July 2014
Historical | Romance
446 Pages

My Rating ~ 4 bites

Christian Severn, Duke of Mercia, has survived being held captive and tortured during Napolean’s reign. Finally back in his London town home all he wants is to get well enough to exact his revenge on his captors. But he hasn’t been  home long before Gillian, the Countess of Greendale, invades his home and reminds him that he has a daughter in the country who needs her father. He agrees to go, but insists Gillian accompany him. Since she’s a recent widow and has no desire to return to a home filled with unhappy memories, she agrees to his demand. And that’s when it all gets interesting.

This is a very well-written story about dealing with the aftermath of abuse and trusting again. I love Gillian and to an extent I love Christian. I’m probably being picky, but I disliked Christian’s dismissing of Gillian’s concerns, poo pooing them like she’s just a hysterical woman. It’s not something he does overmuch, but it dropped my rating. In any case, despite this slight flaw of Christian’s, this book is still going on a list of my favorite reads of 2019. What can I say? I’m a sucker for a damaged hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment