Sunday, September 29, 2019

AVR Weekly News ~ 311th Edition

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by 
Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer. 
~ Recap the past week ~ 
~ Show what's upcoming ~ 
~ Share news ~ 
~ Display book hauls ~

<<< Flip Back


Page Forward >>>

  • Tuesday ~ Tour ~ The Gilded King by Josie Jaffrey
  • Sunday ~ MemeAVR Weekly News ~ 312th Edition

--- AVR News Update ---
Hello and Happy Sunday!

On the Home Front: Things are coming together and we're settling into a new routine. Grocery day is now every Friday since hubby's new job pays weekly. We've been on a bi-weekly schedule so long this is taking some adjustment. I have to keep reminding myself I don't need to buy as much since I'll be back next week. lol Tied to all of this change, we now have new health and vision insurance (we need vision because hubby is diabetic, my family history contains macular degeneration and we both wear glasses, otherwise I suggest skipping it until you're older) and dental will come after his probationary period. Who knew there was so much damn paperwork involved when you switch jobs after 25 years? Speaking of which, he has a pension packet coming that we'll review. Early pension, wait, or buy out. More choices. Oh, yay. 

Also, FYI, dental insurance is a rip off unless you know you'll be needing major services like oral surgery, crowns, root canals and the like. You'll spend less on the 6 month check ups and yearly x-rays than you will in the premiums. We have 3 kids who need their wisdom teeth removed and hubby needs a crown, so we're going to suck up the premiums for now because that shit is expensive! Braces are also expensive, so make sure your plan covers those if you know you'll be needing them for you or your kids. Anyway, my point is, always do the math even if you hate it like I do. If you decide to skip the insurance until a later date be aware that dental has a waiting period for major services. Who knew? Not me. We get it waived because we've had continuous coverage forever (6 months is their yardstick). So, here's what I recommend: if you don't really need vision or dental right now, look up how much the premiums would be and put that money into a savings account for services later. That way, you can use it for checkups or if something comes up you won't be stuck. Do NOT use that money to buy books. I know it's tempting, but don't.

Touching Nature: Hot, hot, and DRY. We did get a thunderboomer Friday night, but the rain gauge only had about 1/4" in it. We need way more than that. Gonna be several more days before we hopefully drop into more Fall-like temps. 90s is bull-fucking-shit here in NC. Temperate state, my big, fat, white ass.

Book News: I have 1 review to write and I've been reading a little bit. I hope to settle into a routine soon.

Don't Touch That Dial!: I've watched a few Twilight Zone episodes, but it's mostly been sports. The Indians blew it, so now it's just football and hockey.

At the Flicks: Saw Rambo: Last Blood yesterday. So gory and yet so SO satisfying.

Cyberspace Playground: Nothing

Randomness: I do both.

Carol's Nuggets of Wisdom: Remember, you are stronger than you think.

That's it for me. AVR News Update signing off. May all your books enthrall you.
∞ Shelf Additions ∞
From the library
Nothing


Purchased ebook $1.99
It is NOT on sale now.


Freebies
Free at time of drafting.
Gaze twice, click once.










7 comments:

  1. I can imagine all the paperwork involved with switching jobs after 25 years!
    Enjoy your books, Night of the Living Trekkies caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids have a state insurance because insurance is stupid and expensive and everything cost too much money and I hate it. The End. Lol That was my rant. My husband and I are on his work insurance and the kids have NJ family care. Which is a huge help especially with the dentist and they pay half for braces but we are going to ignore that until they really need it or have their own insurance.

    I always worry about the switch in pay, I get paid on Thursday and Scot on Friday so if we ever had to change, I don't know what I would do, I get confused very easily! lol

    Have a great week, Carol! Happy Reading! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh paperwork is so frustrating!! I too am hoping for more fall like temperatures and it looks like they are coming for us in Michigan. Fingers crossed for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. You are on point with insurance. My daughter had her wisdom teeth out this summer so I got dental this year. It is very difficult if you have insurance tied to your job. When I was working the reduced our hours in the summer so we would fall off insurance. So I had 3 insurances a year with 3 times to meet the deductibles! Be glad if you have a job with decent insurance. This is one reason I like the ACA and a national exchange. I end up shopping every week because I like fresh fruits and veggies. I am also done with the 90 degree temperatures! Here's to cooling down to actual fall temperatures. Happy reading!

    Anne - Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post   

    ReplyDelete
  5. US healthcare terrifies me. It's so confusing and complicated! The only thing that we pay privately for is our dental because - putting it nicely - NHS dental services kinda suck. You wait forever, have limited choices and still have to pay a surcharge. With my dentist, I pay monthly and get my family's checkups, annual xrays and hygienist appointments as part of the fee with discounted treatment we don't need to wait months for... But we're lucky and haven't needed treatment beyond my having an impacted wisdom tooth removed. :) (and touch wood it stays that way!)

    I'm glad that you're getting things sorted for your family as your husband settles into his new job. Change always seems to come with a mountain of paperwork...

    I had no idea there was a Grimm comic! I like that show. Still need to finish it though... Think I got up to S4?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hard ya about dental and vision insurance. I don't have it now but I do have a fund I keep for emergencies. And we are having the same weather. Super hot and no rain for weeks. Supposed to have some rain maybe next weekend. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ugh I hate doing insurance paperwork - they do everything they can to make it confusing don't they!? you are so correct about dental and vision though - I get vision every other year when I need to renew my prescription, otherwise it's a waste. And dental we keep because I have trouble with gingivitis - I don't have it, but I have to do treatments every 3-6 months to keep it away that would be really costly without the insurance.

    Good luck settling into your new normal - sounds like you're almost there! :)

    ReplyDelete