Thursday, September 27, 2018

Kindle Review ~ The Night Bird

My Kindle Reviews will consist of:
Kindle Lending Library
Kindle Unlimited
Kindle First
Freebies


*Book source ~ Kindle First
1 February 2017
Suspense
364 Pages
                                                                                       
My Rating ~ 4 bites

San Francisco Homicide Inspector, Frost Easton, is getting some really weird murders happening lately and he has yet to figure out their connection. By digging deeper into the murdered women’s backgrounds he finally happens across a link between his victims, a link that leads him to psychiatrist Francesca Stein who provides a controversial therapy to help people with their fears and terrifying memories. When the Night Bird contacts them both to taunt them about the deaths and more to come, Easton and Stein rush to discover who the killer is before anyone else dies.

I love a good serial killer story and while this one kept me guessing until the end I found I had some issues with it. The characters are a little stiff and hard to get to know. All of the secondary characters are cardboard cut outs put in to prop up the story. They have zero depth. The murders are a little too conveniently done, but since I enjoy a good puzzle I pretty much let that slide. Frost continually harps on his sister’s death. I know it was traumatic, but it was like beating a horse after it’s dead. I got it the first and even the second time he mentions it. Every time after that? Repetition is not a friend. While I like Frost just fine, I did not like Francesca. Running off to do her own investigation of a serial killer? What a dipshit. And putting up with her sister? Pu-lease. I’d have told that skank to fuck off a long time ago, sister or not. Anyway, not a fan of Francesca. My favorite character, as it should always be, is the cat named Shack. Best part about this book, really. Still, despite all of this crap, I did still enjoy it. I’m not sure what that says about me, but I don’t give a shit.

4 comments:

  1. I love serial killers stories too though I rarely read them! I usually watched them on movies or TV. Glad to hear you still enjoyed the book despite Francesca ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find I've been enjoying them in book form more often lately. Should I be worried? Maybe. lol

      Delete
  2. I like your honest forthright review....it gave me a laugh. I guess I'll skip this one. ��

    ReplyDelete