Friday, August 10, 2018

Kindle Review ~ Blood on the Tracks


My Kindle Reviews will consist of:
Kindle Lending Library
Kindle Unlimited
Kindle First
Freebies


*Book source ~ Kindle First
1 October 2016
Mystery | Thriller
386 Pages
                                                                                       
My Rating ~ 4 bites and a nibble


Special Agent Sydney Rose Parnell and her K-9 partner Clyde have come back from Iraq with scars, but they do their best to keep moving and do their job as railroad police in Colorado. When the Denver Major Crimes unit calls them in on a brutal homicide of a young woman with a connection to hobos (and thus trains), Sydney discovers a connection to her past in Iraq with Mortuary Services and the main suspect in the murder. As Sydney works the case, she tries hard not to let PTSD pull her or Clyde under again, but it’s a tough road to travel. Can she solve the murder and keep the past secret or will it all come tumbling down around her and Clyde?

Wow. Just, wow. There is a lot going on in this suspenseful murder mystery, but it’s not a bad thing. Sydney’s a remarkable woman who has survived a lot of hardship, but she keeps on when most would just give up. The mystery surrounding Elise’s murder seems to be straight forward, but it is not. Oh, boy, it is not. Sydney’s nose for getting to the truth rivals Clyde’s and the story just pulled me, a willing participant, along for the ride. I didn’t want to put the book down. The addition of train and hobo trivia is fascinating to me. These are subjects I had no clue about and loved learning everything about them. And I love how Sydney and Clyde work together. In my opinion, this book is unputdownable. There is a thread that goes unfinished and I’m hoping it will lead into book 2. I’m looking forward to more of Sydney Rose and Clyde who I call Wonder Dog in my head.

Bonus points for the capitalization of Marine, but points off for calling them soldiers. Soldiers are Army. Marines are Marines, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment