Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Time Turner Tuesday ~ Freedom's Challenge



Series ~ Catteni, #3
Author ~ Anne McCaffrey
Publisher ~ Putnam Books
Published ~ 1 May 1998
Genre ~ Sci-Fi

*Book source ~ My home library.

My Rating ~ 4 bites and a nibble out of 5 

The dropped survivors on Botany have come a long way from those first days when they had virtually nothing. They are living very well with many comforts of home and they are at the brink of ending the Eosi domination of several species and many planets and Kris Bjornson and Zainal are at the center of things. Making a good life on Botany isn’t enough for Zainal though. He intends to destroy the Eosi for enslaving his people for two thousand years and for enslaving other worlds as well. However, the final piece of the plan will only work at great sacrifice to himself. Will his plan work and, more importantly, will he survive it?

Once again I’m plunged into the fight for survival, the fight to free Earth, Botany and many other planets and how everyone works together for the greater good of the community. It’s an awesome ride. All of the pieces of the puzzle come together and if they do so a little too neatly I’m not going to argue. I love this series and I love watching how everyone handles their part of the Great Plan despite overwhelming odds. A fast-flowing plot, great writing and wonderful characters keep me engaged from beginning to end. Anne McCaffrey always has so much going on and yet manages to keep the books to a reasonable length. There’s just no way to summarize her stories without going on and on about everything that’s happening. All I can say is this; open to the first page and hang onto your britches. It's going to be a wild ride.

2 comments:

  1. Good review! I need to revisit this series. I'll admit that it never grabbed me as much as the Pern and Talent series, or even Doona, but I love McCaffrey, and these are worth trying again. Maybe I was just in the wrong mood at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd put the series in favorite order: Pern, Talent and then Freedom. Doona was ok, too. I never got into the Brain Ships books and I haven't gotten around to reading the Crystal Singer ones, but I love McCaffrey! :)

      Delete