Monday, June 17, 2013

The Endlands: Vol. 1

Title ~ The Endlands
Series ~ The Endlands, #1
Author ~ Vincent Hobbes
Publisher ~ Hobbes End Publishing
Published ~ 11 January 2011
Genre ~ Horror/Anthology

My Rating ~ 4 bites out of 5


This is an anthology containing 17 horror stories. 17 stories to creep you out, raise the hair on the back of your neck and/or make your skin crawl.

Remind me again why I read this stuff? Horror isn’t my usual pick of genre because it leads me to think of Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Saw and Friday the 13th,  all movies that, to me, are just gorefests with no real plot or spine chilling creep out factor. The same old tripe over and over again, ad nauseum. Give me Silence of the Lambs though and I’ll watch and never eat fava beans without thinking of Hannibal Lecter. *shudder*

The stories in this anthology are not like the same-ol’-same-ol’ movies I mentioned. These are the kinds of stories that give you the creeps. And better yet, there are 17 of them all reminding me of something I could have easily watched on the old Twilight Zone series. They just don’t make shows like that anymore. *sigh* All-in-all a great anthology.


Room 442 ~ Patrick Greene
4 bites out of 5 ~ Build up was good then…creeped out.

A Night in Polidoria ~ Cristan Martin
3 bites out of 5 ~ Paranormal, not bad.

Flying Fish ~ David Stubblefield
2 bites out of 5 ~ This one didn’t do it for me.

Limbo, Population 458 ~ Vincent Hobbes
5 bites out of 5 ~ Twilight Zone worthy

Finders Keepers ~ Janelle Garcia
4 bites out of 5 ~ Creepy and reminded of Edgar Allen Poe.

Loose Ends ~ Craig Wessel
5 bites out of 5 ~ Twilight Zone worthy.

To Read or Not to Read ~ Vincent Hobbes
5 bites out of 5 ~ Love, love, love this!

Phases of Normal ~ Tamara Wilhite
5 bites out of 5 ~ High creep factor.

Propaganda ~ Nathan Palmer
2 bites out of 5 ~ This one didn’t do it for me.

King of the Jungle ~ Jordan Benoit
3.5 bites out of 5 ~ Not bad, but I’m not big on hunting.

The Hour of the Time ~ Vincent Hobbes
4 bites out of 5 ~ This reminded me of Logan’s Run.

Thanksgiving ~ Jairus Reddy
4 bites out of 5 ~ Don’t show this to a government conspirathist.

Into the Small Hours ~ Patrick Greene
5 bites out of 5 ~ Oh shit! No more hotel rooms for me!

The Dragon of Delinar ~ Vincent Hobbes
4 bites out of 5 ~ Reminds me of Lost.

The Best BBQ on the Interstate ~ Jennifer Chapman
4 bites out of 5 ~ Omg, ewwwww! And I was going to make BBQ this week.

Glass Prison ~ Christina Estabrook
5 bites out of 5 ~ High creep out factor and now I can’t look at mirrors.

THEY ~ Vincent Hobbes
3 bites out of 5 ~ Creepy, but not enough to give me the willies.

*Book source ~ Many thanks to the author for providing a review copy. Please see disclaimer page.



No comments:

Post a Comment