Saturday, June 29, 2024

Suddenly Psychic ~ Audiobook Review


Every woman goes through changes in their forties.
Just not… these changes.

Robin Brannon was a normal wife, mom, and antique shop owner until a brush with death turned her day-to-day life upside down. Now she and her two best friends are seeing things that belong in a fantasy novel. Ghosts. Visions. Omens of doom. Nothing that belongs in the peaceful mountain town they call home.

Added to that, Robin’s marriage is on the rocks, her grandmother’s health is failing, her mother is driving away the customers at her shop, her teenage daughter refuses to get her drivers’ license, and her left knee aches every darn morning.

Robin doesn’t have the time, energy, or knees to unearth the secrets buried at the bottom of Glimmer Lake, but fate doesn’t seem to care. Some secrets are just dying to be exposed.

Book source ~ Purchased audiobook at Chirp
Glimmer Lake, #1
Ava Lucas - Narrator
18 February 2020
Paranormal | Mystery
8 hours 4 minutes

My Rating ~ 4 bites and a nibble


Robin Brannon and her two best friends have a near death experience and they suddenly have psychic powers. Robin can see ghosts, Val sees things when she touches an item, and Monica has visions that come to her in dreams. At first, they think  they’re going cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. And who wouldn’t?! But once they confess these unusual things to each other, they start to slowly figure things out. In the meantime, they have to get on with their lives.


The beginning of this book has a quote that really struck home with me. Robin wakes up one morning and thinks: “Is this the rest of my life? Really? This? Every day until I die?” I’ve been feeling like this for a while now. Totally unappreciated with the drudgery I do, day after day after day. At least Robin has two best friends. I have no friends. *shrugs*


Anyway, there’s a mystery to be solved and it involves a ghost Robin keeps seeing. The trio of friends get their thinking caps on and try channeling a detective. During all of this, Robin is trying to revive her marriage and deal with her elderly grandmother’s health, her mom’s passive-aggressive ways, and her kids' foibles, all while running her antique business. Monica and Val are also dealing with shit, but I mention Robin because the book is told from her POV and the reader gets a more comprehensive view of it from her.


Take real life problems involving women in their 40s, stir in some paranormal stuff, and sprinkle generously with humor and you get a heartwarming tale that also intrigues. The ghost with the problem is a head scratcher, though I kinda thought I had it figured out part way through the book. Still, it’s nice to have his story filled in. And what a doozy of a story it is! This is a book that has stuck with me since I finished it and I have the next two on my wishlist. I look forward to reading Val’s and Monica’s books.



No comments:

Post a Comment