Wednesday, April 10, 2024

The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires ~ Audiobook

 

Patricia Campbell had always planned for a big life, but after giving up her career as a nurse to marry an ambitious doctor and become a mother, Patricia's life has never felt smaller. The days are long, her kids are ungrateful, her husband is distant, and her to-do list is never really done. The one thing she has to look forward to is her book club, a group of Charleston mothers united only by their love for true-crime and suspenseful fiction. In these meetings, they're more likely to discuss the FBI's recent siege of Waco as much as the ups and downs of marriage and motherhood.

But when an artistic and sensitive stranger moves into the neighborhood, the book club's meetings turn into speculation about the newcomer. Patricia is initially attracted to him, but when some local children go missing, she starts to suspect the newcomer is involved. She begins her own investigation, assuming that he's a Jeffrey Dahmer or Ted Bundy. What she uncovers is far more terrifying, and soon she--and her book club--are the only people standing between the monster they've invited into their homes and their unsuspecting community.


Book source ~ Purchased at Chirp
Author ~ Grady Hendrix
Narrator ~ Bahni Turpin
Paranormal | Suspense | Horror
7 April 2020
13 hrs 49 mins

My Rating ~ 1 bite



Patricia Campbell is a former nurse, now stay-at-home wife and mother. She joins a book club with 4 other women to get out of the house once a month. They read true crime alternating with classics or best sellers. When an elderly neighbor’s great-nephew moves into their community all things change and not for the better. There’s something about James Harris that is funky and when her mother-in-law accuses him of being someone else from the distant past, Patricia writes it off as dementia. But is it?


I cannot express how much I hate this book. These women are supposed to be adults in the 90s. I was in my 20s in the 90s and I didn’t know a single woman who was like them. Not one. Ok, so I grew up in Ohio, not the Deep South, but still! This shit is more what I would expect in the 50s. I gave up on the audio at 69% and got the hardcover from the library so I could quickly skim to finish. The 3 year jump in the middle, what the fuck?! I just can’t. I do appreciate the ending, probably more than I should. It’s the best part of the plot. However, am I the only one to wonder why Patricia didn’t just take all the money out of James Harris’s account? She had her name on it to help him get it set up. It was mentioned and then just forgotten. Like, wut?! So many dumb things in this that I don’t think my eyes will ever recover from their fierce and constant rolling. 

I would like to give mad props to the narrator for a great performance. I love all the different voices so it was relatively easy to keep track of everyone. I will be seeking out more books she’s read.



No comments:

Post a Comment