Thursday, April 1, 2021

What Beauty There Is

To understand the truth you have to start at the beginning.

Winter. The sky is dark. It is cold enough to crack bones.

Jack Dahl has nothing left. Except his younger brother, Matty, who he'd do anything for. Even die for. Now with their mother gone, and their funds quickly dwindling, Jack needs to make a choice: lose his brother to foster care, or find the drug money that sent his father to prison. He chooses the money.

Ava Bardem lives in isolation, a life of silence. For seventeen years her father has controlled her fate. He has taught her to love no one. Trust no one. Now Victor Bardem is stalking the same money as Jack. When he picks up Jack's trail, Ava must make her own wrenching choice: remain silent or help the brothers survive.

Choices. They come at a price.

Book source ~ TWR Tour
6 April 2021
YA | Thriller
368 Pages


My Rating ~ 4 bites

Jack Dahl and his younger brother Matty are in a bad place. Their life has imploded and Jack is trying to keep them together. But they need money to survive. The only thing he can think to do is go after the drug money his dad stole and then hid. But when he goes to the prison to ask his dad where the money is and his dad refuses to tell him, that’s when things get worse. So much worse.

Ok, so this book will not only rip your heart out, it will stomp on it then kick it around a bit before devouring it whole. If you don’t come away from this read with an aching chest cavity then you aren’t human. I read with an impending sense of doom. Each turn of the page I was filled with such horrific dread at what I was sure was coming that I got to the point, there toward the end, that I didn’t want to finish it. But I had to. I. Had. To. It was their story and they deserved nothing less. So, I hitched up my Big Girl jammie bottoms, took a deep breath, and continued on to the end. Whew!

The things that happen make me wish I was a superhero that could save the day for all people like Jack, Matty, and Ava. This is a story that will stick with me for a very long time. Jack and his stoic strength, Matty with his faith in his brother, and Ava. Oh, Ava. I can’t even imagine what it was like for her all those years. And that ending. Fuck, that ending. I really thought this was a one off, but now I see it’s a Book 1. Holy shit. Do I have the strength to continue their story when it comes out? Only time will tell. I mean, time heals a broken heart, right? Right?





Cory Anderson, a native of Idaho, is a storyteller who writes about her home in the Rocky Mountains. She is the winner of the League of Utah Writers Young Adult Novel Award and Grand Prize in the Storymakers Conference First Chapter Contest. What Beauty There Is is her debut novel.








2 comments: