Tuesday, November 12, 2019

The Conjurer

Book source ~ NetGalley
17 June 2014
Historical | Mystery
319 Pages

My Rating ~ 1 bite and a nibble
DNF @59%


It’s winter in 1842 Philadelphia and Martha Beale’s father has disappeared, presumed dead, while out hunting. No body has been found and yet Martha still hopes he will show up. Since Martha doesn’t believe her father is dead she asks the mayor’s aide, Thomas Kelman, to help her find her him. In the meantime, there are several other storylines running alongside this one and they may or may not all be connected. I have no idea because I gave up at 59%. The writing is awkward and stilted. The separate stories don’t seem to have any connection to the disappearance of Lemuel Beale. And, quite frankly, I think it’s boring as all get out. I skipped to the end to see what happened to Martha’s asshole pops, and I was right in what I suspected. I will not give that away in case others want to give this book a whirl.

2 comments:

  1. It's frustrating sometimes when there are too many stories going on. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love multistorylines if I can see that they are headed on a collision course with the main storyline. A skillful author weaves those threads perfectly. This is a mess. Ah, well.

      Delete