Monday, August 20, 2018

Kindle Review ~ Hope's Peak

My Kindle Reviews will consist of:
Kindle Lending Library
Kindle Unlimited
Kindle First
Freebies


*Book source ~ Kindle First
1 January 2017
Mystery | Suspense
220 Pages 

My rating ~ 3 bites and a nibble

Detective Jane Harper of Hope’s Peak, North Carolina has a serial killer on her hands and jack all clues to find him. With a huge scandal about to rock the police department, Jane and her partner Stu need to find the killer and fast because he’s escalating. As a mother of all long shots, Jane decides to visit the daughter of the first woman murdered in the hope that maybe Ida Lane can recall something, anything, of her mother’s murder. What Ida brings to the table is no small thing, but it’s up to Jane and Stu to believe her. With lives at risk, they don’t have much choice.

While this book has problems it did keep me reading. The writing leaves much to be desired and the characters aren’t very well-rounded. The plot is a bit simplistic and don’t count on any CSI quality to the investigation. Dialogue also lacks snappiness. However, the need to read on was there for me. I’m not exactly sure why. I’ve read much better murder mysteries about serial killers, but this one, as lackluster as it is in most areas of writing, kept me interested until the end. Also, that end? Who does that? Quite an unusual way to end a book 1, but I’m game for book 2. Some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment