Saturday, May 19, 2018

The Renegade Wife

My Kindle Reviews will consist of:
Kindle Lending Library
Kindle Unlimited
Kindle First
Freebies


*Book source ~ Kindle Lending Library
Children of Empire, #1
12 October 2016
Historical | Romance
293 Pages
                                                                                       
My Rating ~ 3 bites

Rand Wheatly comes home from a business trip to find a woman and her two children have taken up residence. While he would love nothing more than to throw them out, he realizes that with one child injured and one sick and winter just starting, he’d be sending them out to their deaths. So, he reluctantly lets them stay.

Meggy Campeau hates that she had to take shelter inside a stranger’s home, but the welfare of her children are more important than her pride or her ideals. She understands the owner of the pretty home is mad at their break in, but she’s done her best not to disturb anything except what is needed to tend her children. Rand and Meggy form an uneasy alliance, but when her husband comes looking for them, the shit hits the fan.

Set in 1832 in Canada and England, this story really brings home the plight of women when they are married to an abusive asshole. Women have no rights and Meggy’s plight showcases that painfully. The story is heartfelt, full of action, and is quite the read. The reason I scored it low (if 3 is low) is because I just couldn’t make myself like Rand. I tried. I really did. But I just couldn’t stand him. Don’t let that stop you though. You’ll probably love him. Or at least like him. In any case, the story is worth the read whatever you think of him. The ending sets up another book in this world and I’m looking forward to getting my hot little hands on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment