Wednesday, October 1, 2014

WoWwA ~ Turn Coat

*Book source ~ From the library.
Title ~ Turn Coat
Author ~ Jim Butcher
Narrator ~ James Marsters
Publisher ~ Penguin Audio
Published ~ 30 April 2009
Genre ~ Fantasy | Paranormal
Length ~ 14 hrs 40 minutes


Our Rating ~ 5 bites
Narration ~ 5 bites

My guest reviewers:
A: My 17-yr-old daughter
T: My 15-yr-old son
K: My 13-yr-old son


Serious shenanigans are afoot in Chicago and the White Council. When Harry opens his door to an injured Warden Donald Morgan he has a choice to make and quickly. Trust that Morgan didn’t commit treason by killing Senior Council Member LaFortier and help him uncover who did to clear Morgan’s name or toss him out on his ass and let him fend for himself. It’s a well-known fact Harry and Morgan don’t get along, but Harry finds it hard to believe Morgan would kill a Senior Council Member. It would be easier to just kick Morgan out and go about his business. But when has Harry ever done the easy thing?

Things really get complicated in this tale. Harry is set upon by a skinwalker that is really super badass. Something far stronger, faster and powerful than anything he has come up against before. We had no idea how he was going to beat the damn thing since it was nigh immortal. Harry’s solution is, as always, daring and highly entertaining. As for Morgan’s predicament, we all agreed that even though Harry can’t stand Morgan, he is an honest guy who just isn’t the type to commit treason, so we approved of him helping Morgan. Plus, Harry has this thing about doing the right thing even if it’s for someone who can be a regular asshat (my word).

The kids did not like the ending even though it was inevitable considering everything that was going on. I can’t say more without posting multiple spoilers. Yes, this one is a bit complicated, but totally worth it though I agree with the kids about the end. We had an “Oh, shit” moment when…nope, can’t say more. Let me just say that there is a lot of info, a lot of cool magic, a lot of shadow chasing, some serious ass kicking and the usual humor. It is quite the roller coaster ride!

Favorite quotes:

“I love being a wizard. Every day is like Disneyland.”

“You," Madeline said, her voice hollow and wheezing, "are like a bad case of herpes, wizard. You're inconvenient, embarassing, no real threat, and you simply will not go away.”

“This is Waldo Butters, and his geek penis is longer and harder than any of ours put together.”

2 comments:

  1. I love Harry Dresden. I'm still bummed the series didn't take. Great choice on quote: “You," Madeline said, her voice hollow and wheezing, "are like a bad case of herpes, wizard. You're inconvenient, embarassing, no real threat, and you simply will not go away.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Harry and then was ecstatic when I suggested the first audio to the kids and they loved him, too. So much goodness when I can share my favorites with my kids. :D Ikr! That is an awesome quote! hehehe

      Delete