Thursday, February 6, 2014

Tour ~ The Curl Up & Dye

*Book source ~ Review copy obtained through NetGalley. My opinion is my own.
Author ~ Sharon Sala
Published ~ 4 February 2014
Genre ~ Contemporary/Romance
Pages ~ 288

My Rating ~ 4 bites out of 5

LilyAnn Bronte lived a charmed life until her fiancĂ© enlisted in the Army, went off to Afghanistan and died by an IED. For 11 years she lost her way and didn’t know how to get back until a hot guy rolls into town providing the catalyst she needs to lose weight and rejoin the living. Her best friend and next door neighbor, Mike Dalton, hopes LilyAnn will finally see him as more than a friend, but how can she when he treats her like a sister? A series of misunderstandings shakes up their friendship and makes them miserable. Can they find their way to love?

I used to read contemporaries all the time, but in the last few years I’ve drifted away from them. However, once in awhile one will catch my eye and I must read it. The prequel to this book, Color Me Bad (my review here) was such a book and of course, since I enjoyed it that meant I needed to read the next book.

Sala’s romance involving a small Southern town in Georgia is a fun read. The story is told from several POVs, which really gives me a good feel of the town and inhabitants. The relationship between LilyAnn and Mike is painful at times. I just wanted to sit them down and bash their heads together. Ok, maybe not that harsh, but they’d settled into such a comfortable routine that they needed something to kick them in the asses. That something finally came in the form of a sleazy hot guy. Woah, doggy. This book is a great read filled with Southernisms, humor, small town gossip, romance, meddling and some danger. I think I wasn't quite as entertained with this one as the prequel because it was longer. It didn't move as fast as I would have liked and I believe that's only because my tastes for contemporary have changed and not a fault of the book. It's still a very entertaining read.


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun read! I do love contemporaries, but I don't read that many feel-good, romance type books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love fun contemporaries then this would be a good one for you. :)

      Delete
  2. LOL that cover and title got me giggling right away! Sounds like a fun book - I need to check out the prequel, I guess since it was better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the title! lol Don't get me wrong, this one is good, too. I just happened to enjoy the prequel more. :)

      Delete
  3. ha! I know the feeling about wanting to shake the characters a bit because of their actions :D but I guess that what makes it a fun book sometimes. I loved the cover, it sounded like a charming read now I am curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could actually be a good thing, wanting to smack the characters around. It depends on the reason for the smacking around. It's totally different if you want to knock some sense into them versus they're too stupid to live. LOL It is charming. I'd read more in this series for sure.

      Delete