Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Time Turner Tuesday ~ Bearing an Hourglass


*Book source ~ Home library
Author ~ Piers Anthony
Publisher ~ Del Rey Books
Published ~ August 1984
Genre ~ Fantasy
Pages ~ 281

My Rating ~ 4 bites and a nibble out of 5

One day when Norton is out camping he meets a ghost, Gawain. Gawain is from a noble family with a long lineage, but he died slaying a dragon (well, he thought it was a dragon) before he could marry and father an heir. So his parents arranged a ghost marriage for him and he’s wandering the Earth looking for a suitable man to get his wife pregnant. It is this meeting that changes Norton’s life in a really big way though he doesn’t know it yet.

Book 2 in one of my favorite series is actually my least favorite book because of the Time thing. When Norton becomes Chronos he starts living his life backwards. This is the part where I get lost and no matter how many different times it’s explained by various people throughout the book, I still don’t get it or precisely how the hourglass works. I didn’t get it the other times I read it and I had hoped, now that I’m older, I might understand it, but nope. Ah, well. Except for that fact, I did enjoy the story. I love Norton/Chronos. He’s a great character and so well-detailed he feels like a real person. Sning is my next favorite character. I’d love to have a ring like him!

When Satan’s plan is foiled by Death in Book 1, he tries his shenanigans with the new Chronos. Chronos shouldn’t have been so gullible, but who isn't a bit unsure in a new job? And being Chronos was way more than just any ol’ job. Whew! Anyway, despite the whole Time and paradox thing I once again enjoyed Norton’s story very much. 

12 comments:

  1. Different... Sorry you couldn't understand the hourglass part in this series, must have been frustrating, but glad to hear you enjoyed it! Never heard of it before, but reading your review..sounds like an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After several rereads of this book over the years, I've come to the conclusion my brain is just not wired to figure out the Time thing. lol It's still a great book though. :)

      Delete
  2. That's good you still enjoy the book even if things are confusing. I love re-reading books when I have the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've resigned myself to the fact I will never understand it. My fault, not the book's. lol I've decided to make time since I started the Time Turner feature. Though I still have tons in my regular TBR pile I need to read. *sigh*

      Delete
  3. Well that is a different plot..I did a double take and thought this was some erotica fantasy..LOL Despite some confusion I am glad you enjoyed this Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Nope, not erotica. This series is one of my favorites. :)

      Delete
  4. That stinks when the 2nd book in a series is the least favorite. It always feels like a let down. But at least you liked in anyway, despite the issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I know I love the other stories. lol And it is a good book despite my contrary brain. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow that is a while ago! Time elements can be the most awesome or the most confusing elements in books, too bad it didn't work in this one. A very different plot though, I'm seriously curious about this oldie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to understand the whole Time and paradox stuff made me feel like I was in Chemistry again. I was completely lost in that class and if we didn't have excellent study guides for the tests I never would have passed. It was all memorization for me. I'm breaking out in a sweat just thinking of Chemistry. lol

      Delete
  6. I have yet to read a Piers Anthony book, I'm a little scared to because they always sound so out there, lol. I'm glad you enjoy it despite the issues though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a few other books by him that are more Sci-Fi, but this is my favorite series because it's more like an alternate Earth. :)

      Delete