Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Red Adept Tour ~ Lay Death at Her Door

Title ~ Lay Death at Her Door
Author ~ Elizabeth Buhmann
Publisher ~ Red Adept Publishing
Published ~ 10 May 2013
Genre ~ Mystery/Suspense

My Rating ~ 5 bites out of 5


Twenty years ago Kate Cranbrook’s eye witness testimony sent an innocent man to prison for the murder of her boyfriend and for her brutal rape and beating. However, DNA evidence kept all these years has been tested with the new modern and sophisticated equipment and Jules Jefferson is exonerated. The lie that Kate told is coming back with a vengeance to roost on her doorstep. It was dark, she had been attacked, she was traumatized…she told the story so many times over the years that she had started to believe it. But the truth was she lied about the man’s identity. Why? Who is she protecting?

This mystery grabbed me from the two word second paragraph. ‘I lied.’ Kate lied about the identity of her attacker and Elliot’s murderer. She lied to the cops, to the jury, to everyone and Buhmann’s skillful writing pulled me along kicking and screaming for the entire book before giving me what I demanded, the reason behind the lie.

I have to tell you that Kate Cranbrook is a piece of work. And not a good one either. She is the most unlikeable protagonist that I’ve ever read and yet I couldn’t stop reading! Now, that’s an excellent writer for you, compelling you forward when you just want to stop and yell at the character, ‘Omg, you are the most selfish, self-centered snobbish bitch to ever live. Why am I still here?’ Because Kate is complex and yet a train wreck, because the lie is the elephant in the room, because Pop (her dad) is one weird dude and most of all…because I want to know why she lied! Why, why, why?! The ending was the biggest mind fuck I never saw coming. Totally.Awesome!


*Book source ~ Many thanks to Red Adept Publishing for providing a review copy. Please see disclaimer page.




4 comments:

  1. This is next on my TBR. Believe that. ;)

    E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get to it, Mister. It was excellent! I'll read more by Buhmann for sure. :)

      Delete
  2. thanks for adding this to the collection. Cheers

    ReplyDelete