Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tasting Fear

Tasting Fear
   ~ Shannon McKenna
Publisher ~ Kensington
Published ~ 1 April 2012

My Rating ~ 3 out of 5


The D’onfrio sisters were adopted by Lucia D’Onofrio when they were young teens in foster care, but they are as close as blood sisters. When their mother is murdered in a burglary, the house is vandalized after the funeral and a scrap of letter is found and a jeweler’s family connected to Lucia’s last gifts to her daughters are murdered the sisters get a bad feeling. A really bad feeling that more is going on and they could be the next targets.

This story is told in three parts with each sister getting her own story complete with her own danger and her very own knight in shining armor. It was a bit too convenient that these guys showed up at just the right time when the poor idiot women needed them.

Ok. The only thing that kept me reading was the mystery of the homicidal serial killer, his employer and what they were looking for that they were going to such lengths and expense to find. The mystery wasn’t a bad one, but the serial killer was an inept idiot. Though in his own thoughts he did say that while he was a professional (I had my doubts) everything about this job had gone wrong from the very beginning. Ok, I can believe that he was probably usually good at his job and this one was one of those jobs where Murphy’s Law takes over. It happens. He was just a bit too bumbling idiot for me though.

The first story with Nancy and Liam did nothing for me but make me alternate between rolling my eyes and grinding my teeth. Nancy was a wimp of the first order and Liam was one of the biggest jerks I’ve come across in a long time. Didn’t like either of them. At all.

The second story with Nell and Duncan was my favorite. I actually liked them even though Nell made me mad with all her carelessness when she knew someone was after her.

The last story with Vivi and Jack was better than the first, but not by much. I liked Vivi, but Jack was also a jerk. Though it turns out he had his reasons and it’s not always easy to let go of our childhood experiences.

So, I hung in there for the mystery and to see the bad guys get what’s coming to them, but it’s not a book I’ll ever reread. Well, ok, I might reread Nell and Duncan’s part, since I liked them and it was a hot story, but not the rest of it.

*The publisher provided a copy of this book to me for review. Please see disclaimer page.


No comments:

Post a Comment