Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Perfect Mistress

The Perfect Mistress
    ~ Victoria Alexander
Publisher ~ Kensington
Published ~ 25 January 2011

My Rating ~ 4 out of 5

Lady Julia Winterset is a widow whose financial security is dwindling and she needs to get some income pretty quickly. Her salvation, she hopes, is the inheritance of a memoir or manuscript written by her great-grandmother, Lady Hermione Middlebury, who wrote down explicit details of what she calls her adventures (affairs) after she was widowed at the age of 24. Her adventures are quite scandalous, but since she’s been dead for more than 30 years Julia doesn’t think anyone in the memoir is likely to still be alive, so she decides to see if she can sell it to a publisher. Who would’ve thought the idea to sell the manuscript would change her life so drastically? She certainly didn’t.

I accidentally read the second book in this series before this one, so I already had a little knowledge of what was to come. However, I didn’t know how amusing the story would be. I didn’t connect with Book 2, His Mistress by Christmas as easily as I did this one, so it came as a surprise that I didn’t want to put it down. I kept wondering when Harrison Landingham, Earl of Mountdale, was going to next put his big foot in his mouth or what Julia’s friend Veronica, who also happened to be Harrison’s widowed sister-in-law, was going to do next.

Amusing, well-written, smooth-flowing and interesting it kept me glued to the pages until the end. Since I’ve already read book two, I can’t wait to read Portia’s story, so I hope it’s coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment