Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Time Turner Tuesday ~ Damia





Title ~ Damia
Series ~ The Tower and the Hive, #2
Author ~ Anne McCaffrey
Publisher ~ Ace Putnam
Published ~ 1 July 1992
Genre ~ Sci-Fi/Fantasy

*Books source ~ My home library

My Rating ~ 5 bites out of 5



Damia Gwyn-Raven is the third child of Jeff Raven and The Rowan. Unlike her older brother and sister, Damia is a handful. When The Rowan is pregnant for a fourth time and the pregnancy is not going well and after several shenangians by Damia it is decided that raising Damia on Callisto Station is not a good idea, so she, Jeran and Cera go to live with their paternal grandmother, Isthia, on Deneb VIII. There Damia thrives and grows into a young woman. After a lot of training she takes over as Aurigae Prime and lives a lonely life until she senses a brilliant mind light years away. Will Soran be the one to ease her loneliness?


This book starts out with Afra Lyon, his childhood and how he came to work in Callisto Tower as the Second in Charge to The Rowan giving us excellent insight into his life. While I truly enjoyed this book, Damia is not one of my favorite characters until the end. I found her to be self-centered, selfish and really not very likeable. It takes a terrible tragedy to finally mature her even though she should have matured years before. The ending is a nice surprise and leaves plenty of fodder for the next book in the series. My reread was every bit as enjoyable this go ‘round even though it’s been about 20 years since I read it.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this one. I used to be a Rowan fan until I read Damia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really liked Damia until the end. I'm an Afra fan though.

      Delete