Sunday, January 20, 2019

AVR Weekly News ~ 277th Edition

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by 
Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer. 
~ Recap the past week ~ 
~ Show what's upcoming ~ 
~ Share news ~ 
~ Display book hauls ~

<<< Flip Back

  • Sunday ~ Meme ~ AVR Weekly News ~ 276th Edition
  • Monday ~ Review ~ The Other Side of Elsewhere by Brett McKay
  • Wednesday ~ Kindle Review ~ Bella's Band by Alina K. Field
  • Friday ~ Friday Featured Spotlight ~ The Norse Chronicles by Karissa Laurel

Page Forward >>>

  • Tuesday ~ Review ~ The Silver Chain by Primula Bond
  • Thursday ~ Review ~ The Flats by Kate Birdsall
  • Saturday ~ Review ~ BTVS: Season 11, Vol 2: One Girl in All the World by Christos Gage
  • Sunday ~ MemeAVR Weekly News ~ 278th Edition

--- AVR News Update ---
Hello and Happy Sunday!

On the Home Front: We're making some progress with Artemis responding to her name consistently when she is called along with some other commands. We finally got the barrier/door/gate/whatever you want to call it, up in the hallway yesterday. I feel much more confident now that we have something tall and sturdy that Artemis can't jump or plow down in order to get to the cats. And Anna can leave her door cracked open so the cats can go out to the litterbox on their own or hang out in the guest room if they want. They have yet to venture out much. I'm not sure they trust the new barrier with Artemis sniffing and whining on the other side. But we are teaching her the command Leave It when she whines. She can sniff and explore, but no whining, barking, or other unacceptable behavior in regards to the cats on the other side. We hope to get to the point where she ignores them. The cats will have the run of the house at night when Artemis is crated for bed, so it's not like they are confined all the time to half of what they've been used to for 7 years.

Touching Nature: Typical for NC in January. 40s & 50s during the day and 30s or so at night. A bit rainy yesterday, but other than that...January Blerg.

Book News: So, I suggested a purchase for a Buffy graphic novel from the library waaaaaaay back in June or so. It wasn't long after my suggestion that it showed up in my Holds. That usually means that they are purchasing the book, it needs to come in, then I'm first in line to get it. Well, it sat there in my Holds for months. Finally, last week I decided to email and find out where the hell my book was. I was told it was listed as "Missing." Um, what? How the fuck can it be missing when I never even got it?! The library didn't have the book, so I suggested it, it obviously came in, but never got to me. You know what that suggests to me? That someone who works in the library walked off with it after it came in. Anyway, they must have put a rush on the purchase or they managed to find the "missing" copy because it was only a few days after my email exchange that the book came in. I picked it up, devoured it, and even wrote the review. So, lol.

Don't Touch That Dial!: Some NCIS with hubby. Then Trip, Kyle, & I started The Punisher Season 2 on Friday when it came out. All I can say is Holy shit!

At the Flicks: Not until March, most likely.

Cyberspace Playground: Nothing.

Randomness: 

Carol's Nuggets of Wisdom: This year I didn't make any New Year's Resolutions. I made a list of goals I'd like to accomplish and told myself I will do them in small bites over the course of the year. That way they're not as intimidating and easier to cross off my list. Because seriously, who doesn't like crossing shit off lists?

That's it for me. AVR News Update signing off. May all your books enthrall you.
∞ Shelf Additions ∞
From the library



Freebies
I picked up some comics this week.
Free at time of drafting.
Gaze twice, click once.




14 comments:

  1. I love crossing stuff off of lists. I love lists. I haven't made any resolutions but I definitely have goals I want to achieve this year. I tried it last year (SMART goals) and achieved a lot with it so I'm doing it again. :)

    Good luck with training Artemis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? I knew people loved crossing things off lists. It's so satisfying. lol Great job on your goals! If something isn't broke, why try to fix it? I always say that then one day a new way to do something comes to me and now I have fixed something I didn't even know was broken. lol

      Delete
  2. I think you are all doing awesome with her. She will get it eventually, it will just take time.
    I love the door! I need a door made, do you all make house visits! lol

    Your books this week look amazing. I really wish I read more graphic novels or comics. I used to read them all the time. Now I feel like I am just so behind on them.

    I hope you have a fantastic week, Carol! Happy Reading! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're getting there. Slowly but surely. She's smart, but also stubborn. And since we have no idea what her life was like before she was a stray, we do know she was stuck in a shelter for over 5 months. So, we keep plugging away with her.

      I wish! We could make you a door and you could feed us. Fair deal, right? lol

      I don't read nearly enough comics/graphic novels. I need to fix that this year.

      Delete
  3. I'm definitely one of those who love crossing stuff off lists. It gives me such a feeling of accomplishment :) Sounds like you are doing very well with Artemis. Good luck with continuing her training.

    Have a great week! My Sunday post is here.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as I don't add stuff to the bottom of the list I love crossing stuff off. LOL

      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Oh puppy training is exhausting! I was just telling a coworker about why I ended up with a canine good citizen certified dog-because she was such a nightmare puppy we just kept doing training classes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL

      We're doing a lot here, just looking stuff up on the internet. But we may need to take her to some classes if we can't make any progress with the cat aggression.

      Delete
  5. I love making to do list just to cross of things so it seems like I'm accomplishing things. I didn't really make goals or resolutions. I had some in mind but I never really wrote anything down yet.

    Best of luck with the dog training!

    Tina @ As Told By Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love crossing things off! lol I wish you luck with your goals. Not everyone needs to write them down. I need to or I'll forget. LOL

      Delete
  6. My resolutions are more like goals, too. I’m hoping to break them up over the year instead of starting them all at once. Good luck with the dog training. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Too much pressure and ka-boom. A person would explode. So, break them up over the year. :) Thanks!

      Delete
  7. I'm totally with you about goals rather than resolutions. Being able to recommend at the library is great but it works oddly sometimes. Even stuff which is in the catalog (an ebook) says I am the only one reserving and estimates 8 weeks to get it? It says they have it. Odd.

    Well I agree on the 50s daytime and 30s at night, but it is much colder right now. More like 30s daytime, teens at night. But 60 tomorrow! It is wide swings in 4-5 day shifts.

    Have a wonderful week, stay comfy and enjoy your books! Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our weather is really fucked up right now, right? Leave it to NC. LOL

      Our library is pretty good about the queues and such, but that was just plain weird.

      Delete